Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So you believe the advertising & that you can bolt part straight on with awsome results?

If only that were true,rarely that easy with old ass holdens

I've seen over 50 engines all different types on the engine dyno all respond the exact same way with alloy heads.
Bolt on is subjective but essentially yes, they still need to be checked that the valves seat properly. HPE Pete sells the edelbrock heads check and ready to bolt on for a very good price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thats all wifes tales.

A set of edelbrock heads is not that much more than a portes set of stock heads.

What's the price of a set of Edelbrock's? I can tell the OP a rough price of reco heads including mild port job.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What's the price of a set of Edelbrock's? I can tell the OP a rough price of reco heads including mild port job.

The OP has a 304 and going by GTR boy he would need bigger valves so a reseat and new valves. It would wind up being more expensive then a reco head using the original valves and a re-cut of the existing seats.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The OP has a 304 and going by GTR boy he would need bigger valves so a reseat and new valves. It would wind up being more expensive then a reco head using the original valves and a re-cut of the existing seats.

Obviously that will be more than than an overhaul but what's a set of Edelbrocks worth?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$3400 plus freight, fworrrrr. Reco heads with valve reshape, skim and some mild porting is only $1400 thereabouts, less if the OP doesn't need valves.

304 parts are cheap only exi part is labor.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Those were his experimental heads to port & test out when edelbrocks first became available...also much cheaper when hit the market also notice 2017 post so parts/labour gone up too.

Properly done casties will set you back 3k easy for mild port work,good springs/valves etc then labour & machining.

Cleaned up heads as in de-dagged & blending of valve seat area be much less depending on what parts reused & maching required...usually enough for small call street motor...using the right cam & suitable compression ratio goes much further than most people believe.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Those were his experimental heads to port & test out when edelbrocks first became available...also much cheaper when hit the market also notice 2017 post so parts/labour gone up too.

Properly done casties will set you back 3k easy for mild port work,good springs/valves etc then labour & machining.

Cleaned up heads as in de-dagged & blending of valve seat area be much less depending on what parts reused & maching required...usually enough for small call street motor...using the right cam & suitable compression ratio goes much further than most people believe.

I've been watching Richard Holdners youtube channel and he has said multiple times him and Burliegh have had success using big cam on low comp engines. He also states that compression just adds power accross the board.
They litterally only test engines thats all they do is just testing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

I was orginally quoted $1400 as he was basing mine on V8 heads over the phone. That was 4hrs on the porting tool, new exhaust valves and new HD crow springs, along with valve reshape and a skim. OP should come in under $1500 for what I am getting done and I think it would improve things a fair bit, especially on a 304.