Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr starting issue

Yehhhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr executive wagon 3.8L
Hey all, I have a 94 3.8L vr exec wagon and I’ve been having some major problems with it starting (not cranking) , I’ve replaced my key twice once with a personal scanner and once at Holden themselves, I now have no clue what it could be as I’ve bridged the starter which works, and also bridged the park / neutral switch and it still won’t crank. Any help is appreciated TIA

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Is the security light going out when turning the key?

Any codes logged?

Yehhhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the security light going out when turning the key?

Any codes logged?
No codes, I believe the security light is faulty as it doesn’t blink or turn on at all, but it used to start with the same circumstances

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try a new relay. Holden sell them pretty cheap. Ignition switches are another problem but the relay is easier to replace.

Yehhhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try a new relay. Holden sell them pretty cheap. Ignition switches are another problem but the relay is easier to replace.
All relays work no fuses blown, this car baffles me with it issues

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
The key is pulled inwards as you turn it to start, this allows the nipple on the key fob to contact the metal strips around the key barrel..Over time the key barrel wears out and the slop stops the key making contact with the strips.(also the strips can be spun around or pushed in also stopping contact)
If the key fob still locks/unlocks the doors you can test if its the issue by holing the lock unlock button on the fob down as you turn to start