Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V-8 SS

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
I Did Adel > Sydney and back on a whim for a set of wheels back in the day.

Finished work at 3PM and left. Distances don't mean much to me, if it's something hard to find and I need it, I'll do the drives.

(And I hate arranging couriers with pain in the ass sellers)

I'm possibly doing a 2000km drive to Brisbane on the first week of Jan for a 60th birthday and a 2000km back because flights for 2 people this late are just insane at the moment.
Got any spare alloytec parts you need to clear out and drop off while you're here? :p

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Got any spare alloytec parts you need to clear out and drop off while you're here? :p
hahahahahah, my V6 thrives on neglect, it gets nothing but the very occasional overdue oil change so I don't have much in the way of parts.

It's a daily, it gets treated as such.

I gave it it's half yearly wash on the weekend.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
sames. distance is not really a bother if I justify the need lol

did drive to mt gambier & return for a cerulean high rise console, and wasn't even for me!
mildura for a set of Senator door trims because couriers suck!
I Did Adel > Sydney and back on a whim for a set of wheels back in the day.

Finished work at 3PM and left. Distances don't mean much to me, if it's something hard to find and I need it, I'll do the drives.

(And I hate arranging couriers with pain in the ass sellers)

I'm possibly doing a 2000km drive to Brisbane on the first week of Jan for a 60th birthday and a 2000km back because flights for 2 people this late are just insane at the moment.

I think you two are forgetting what the average NZ road is like.
Yeah Auckland/Sydney harbour bridges are similar,
Burbs are similar,
Hamilton - Auckland and Ballarat - Melb are similar.
But the other 700km are basically great ocean road at BEST! No multi lane highways, infinite corners, narrow or non existent verge etc

I must agree it would have been infinity more enjoyable without the trailer and/or getting goodies for my own vehicle.
Or actually if I didn't have 3 under 5 at home I usually spend all my time with I would have been happier away and taken a slower pace (spending time with friends in the area)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah but you guys don't need to worry as much about driving at dawn/dusk.

I've lost 2x cars in my lifetime to kangaroos in the early hours of the mornings. It's a real thing and it's terrifying.

Most of Aus isn't multilane highway either, thats only really a far east coast thing connecting Melb/Syd/Bris). For SA to Brisbane it's pretty much all nothingness of desert straight through the middle of the country and single lanes overtaking endless roadtrains and not seeing servos for 100's of km's at a time.

2810734.jpg

This is what I'll see for pretty much 1800 of the 2000km.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think you two are forgetting what the average NZ road is like.
Yeah Auckland/Sydney harbour bridges are similar,
Burbs are similar,
Hamilton - Auckland and Ballarat - Melb are similar.
But the other 700km are basically great ocean road at BEST! No multi lane highways, infinite corners, narrow or non existent verge etc

I must agree it would have been infinity more enjoyable without the trailer and/or getting goodies for my own vehicle.
Or actually if I didn't have 3 under 5 at home I usually spend all my time with I would have been happier away and taken a slower pace (spending time with friends in the area)

Some of the roads are very poor atm with all the recent weather etc. There were some real bad patches on SH4 around Taumarunui last I heard. There are some really choice bits through national park that would be interesting with a trailer/car on the back.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Some of the roads are very poor atm with all the recent weather etc.
Yeah my street at the moment is just all potholes after 2x years of la nina.

We've seen more rain in the last 6 months here than I think I've seen in my lifetime combined. It's insane.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Some of the roads are very poor atm with all the recent weather etc. There were some real bad patches on SH4 around Taumarunui last I heard. There are some really choice bits through national park that would be interesting with a trailer/car on the back.
A spot not far from home (60km at a guess). I noticed what looked like a fallen tree had been tidied and removed, which certainly wasn't a mess all over the road a day earlier heading past.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I have friends doing run to sydney this weekend, and they are asking what roads are open and useable. The damage from la nina is extensive and the roads are baaaaad.
We are heading to canberra in Jan, going to allow extra travel time in case we have to detour for poor road conditions. did a 4hr+ detour one year for bathurst because of the flooding

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I recently did a 500K round trip to grab something for someone....

Doing this sort of stuff doesn't bother me....Gives me an excuse to look in paddocks for what's laying round....

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I've been warned by a mate about NZ driving roads and what to expect when I eventually go there with them.
Auckland to New Plymouth type of distances.

Said you have to look a few corners ahead and overtake as you get out if the corners when you can see clear roads.

Mind you, same mate I was giving directions of what was coming up on one of the last remaining roads that's fast, flowy and free of traffic. Did say to maybe stop giving info as it was wet and the tyres were not designed for spirited driving in a small hatchback :oops: