Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Commodore, Replacing the Starter motor on a Auto

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Make sure your battery is disconnected too. Two bolts on the starter and drops straight out. But I have changed a few starters and never had to undo the rack or the tie rod end. Bit of a tight wiggle to get it out though.

Agree with the above.

That link for the starter motor removal needs to be changed to how to remove a starter motor the hard way.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes I've been reading this thread and am wondering about all this extra rooting around as I've never had to remove anything else to gain access to the starter motor and remove it, had to do it on my sons Ecojet and had no issues, yes it's a bit tight, but you haven't worked on anything tight until you've worked on a European bucket of bolts, now they are more than tight !

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd be interested to see if the OP can get it out without undoing part of the rack or left engine mount bolt. Mine definitely wouldn't fit through. Although I used a pit and can't remember if I tried jacking up the body to get some droop in the rack end or not.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
And still your grammar/spelling is better than many others on this forum.:cool:
My gramma and spelling is atrocious (had to google that) which is why I fix cars for a living and don't have a good paying job.
Kid's do your home work.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes I've been reading this thread and am wondering about all this extra rooting around as I've never had to remove anything else to gain access to the starter motor and remove it, had to do it on my sons Ecojet and had no issues, yes it's a bit tight, but you haven't worked on anything tight until you've worked on a European bucket of bolts, now they are more than tight !

We have our CFO's Q7 in atm getting some seals done in the valley (V6 diesel) I've done one before... you don't know hard to work on untill you fight one of these.
I also once did a ML250d high pressure fuel pump..... engine ended up coming out.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
On the 2 post I think from memory I think NAAF is correct. But it also only takes 1min to undo the TRE which makes it easier. If you unbolt the rack mounts the steering wheel might move and need adjusting.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
And still your grammar/spelling is better than many others on this forum.:cool:
Since you young guy love to give me acronym where I have to use GOOGLE to find out what the acronym is Now i will give you a acronym that was well used (very Popular) in the 60's and 70's and that is when you buy something and it does not work correctly or does not work at all you say Its NWACFOCW. Now we did not have internet those days but we did have a letter that we can write and most of the time if we had a issue like this and because people those days it was just about impossible to offend anyone then not like today men on tools widely used NWACFOCW when writing a comment.
Now lets see if you guys can give me what is NWACFOCW. by the way, it not in Google.

Back on Topic. When I got under the VR yesterday to de greso it I found the Passengers side Rack rubber boot broken. Last night I purchased from ebay in a pack of 6, 2 boots, 2 tie rod ends, and 2 rods for the each ends all for $65. No doubt the Tie rod ends will have some play in them

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to hold the nut on top while undoing the bolt from the bottom on the rack mount. Nut is 18mm, bolt is 19mm.

Make sure your battery is disconnected too. Two bolts on the starter and drops straight out. But I have changed a few starters and never had to undo the rack or the tie rod end. Bit of a tight wiggle to get it out though.
Take note of this with the sizes (nut and Bolt)
Question!! Do you disconnect the main 12 v cable ( If you can get to it) before removal those two bolts or remove the bolts first so you can get at the connections (Main power and the single clip on for the Solenoid)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd be interested to see if the OP can get it out without undoing part of the rack or left engine mount bolt. Mine definitely wouldn't fit through. Although I used a pit and can't remember if I tried jacking up the body to get some droop in the rack end or not.
Well I'm the guinea pig. First I will try to remove the Starter motor without moving anything. If it fails I will loosen/lift/whatever the rack but will try to put a white marker pen so it goes in the exact position. the other question I forgot to asks. Can you disconnect the connections whist the starter motor is still bolted up.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
My gramma and spelling is atrocious (had to google that) which is why I fix cars for a living and don't have a good paying job.
Kid's do your home work.
Just image a person example ME that I ad One Heart Attack that deprive oxygen to my brain that removed 30% of whats in my Brain than 5 friggin strokes and one of them was very, very, very severe where I cannot talk at all and partly can walk but when I say cant talk it was 1 months before the First word come out of my mouth and that was FU_K. .
Not only I could not talk I could not WRITE AT ALL.
Simple: I was going to my mate house to install a large Satellite dish, Forgot My wallet, Went to SUBWAYS for healthy food, Forgot my Wallet, Luckly had some spare coins in the car, Had the Stroke just outside Subways, rushed to hospital, NO Identification on me, My Wife though I was staying at my friend house, I was in Hospital for over 12 hours and cannot tell all they my name, my home phone number, My wifes name or number, Now whist I was in Hospital a Nurse X 3 off them Doctors tried to find out who am I where did you came from and they ask me My wife or Partners name and number PERFECT and in my BRAIN ONLY I HAD MY WIFE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER PERFECTLY but when I tried to write it down it came as HGXCDE FRSERDE and the Phone number was 8ui7890K6 . Yes this is the way I was EXTREMELY Very Frustration