Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr V8 Commodore wont start

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
If the engine runs with Start Ya Bastard or petrol in the throttle then ignition pulse is fine, injector pulse on the other hand...

Have you also replaced the fuel filter? Blockage from that being clogged is also not unheard of and would fit into the no petrol on the plugs or injectors not delivering fuel.

Also worth asking, you didn't do anything to the car previous to this happening?
Yes, i have replaced the fuel filter, it wont start with start ya bastard or petrol any more, i have petrol going to fuel rail as i have pulled the hose off the rail to check if the fuel is running through, im not to sure if the injectors are actually running or not but when disconnected and connected they make a noise once connected again. is it to do with the dizzy place ment or??? if i turn my dizzy it will turn sumthing on when i twist it a certain distance

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
Have you tried putting the plug against the engine block and test for spark? Also have you tested that every injector is getting 12v with ignition on using a test light, one wire be 12v. Maybe something is wrong in your new dizzy.
The dizzy is brand new, but no i havent done the block test i will try it and i havent checked injectors yet as i dont have a test light

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
The dizzy is brand new, but no i havent done the block test i will try it and i havent checked injectors yet as i dont have a test light
what is spose to happen when i take a plug of spark plug and put it to the block?? am i suppose to then try and start the car and see if sparks fly?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
what is spose to happen when i take a plug of spark plug and put it to the block?? am i suppose to then try and start the car and see if sparks fly?
Well going on your post at 8 you have spark, so must be something to do with what you did, I would start over firstly by removing the dizzy and follow this guide, u might of just missed something,
dist1-jpg.135020

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Unlikely, but the 20 second starting thing and possible no power to injectors is sometimes a sign of a security signal issue - the ECU can't speak to the BCM or the wrong memcal is installed. So you didn't change anything before all this started happening?

The thing you're hearing when you turn the dizzy is likely the fuel pump, the hall effect sensor is telling the ECU that the engine is rotating and to send fuel. What brand of dizzy did you get BTW? Injectors making noise would likely be them opening and closing as they work on shorting to ground to open and close.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
not sure what a vat is but yes fuel pump is priming when key is turned
"Vehicle Anti Theft System"
Are both valves closed when you did T.D.C ? You could be out by 180deg. Is your key fob working and touching the slipring?

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
Well going on your post at 8 you have spark, so must be something to do with what you did, I would start over firstly by removing the dizzy and follow this guide, u might of just missed something,
dist1-jpg.135020
i will pull it out and do it again making sure that the oil drain hole and drive gear roll pin ar alligned and then reinstall it then get back to you

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
"Vehicle Anti Theft System"
Are both valves closed when you did T.D.C ? You could be out by 180deg. Is your key fob working and touching the slipring?
yes key is touching it dosent have an immobiliser and when you say 180 out dose that mean i have to pull dizzy out and rotate it 180 from where it was pointing?

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
yes key is touching it dosent have an immobiliser and when you say 180 out dose that mean i have to pull dizzy out and rotate it 180 from where it was pointing?
and wich 2 valves are suppose to be closed??

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
Unlikely, but the 20 second starting thing and possible no power to injectors is sometimes a sign of a security signal issue - the ECU can't speak to the BCM or the wrong memcal is installed. So you didn't change anything before all this started happening?

The thing you're hearing when you turn the dizzy is likely the fuel pump, the hall effect sensor is telling the ECU that the engine is rotating and to send fuel. What brand of dizzy did you get BTW? Injectors making noise would likely be them opening and closing as they work on shorting to ground to open and close.
well before this happened it was running like a hairy dog so i started replacing the thing i said and in the mean time it stoped starting and now i cant even drive it... this happened when i started playing with the dizzy, so then i replaced that. the dizzy is my last replacement.. i replaced every thing else prior to the dizzy and it would start and drive but still running hairy had no guts at all but it was running.. but not any more..