Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS BT1 Injectors

BigMoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubby
Hi Guys,

Does anybody know what the standard injector size is on the 304 motor?

I've recently acquired a VS BT1 5.0L and I'm looking to do some performance upgrades as it doesn't seem to have the power I would expect from a 5.0L.

It already has a big cam, gilmer drives, extractors, full exhaust and a fully reco stage 2 shift kitted auto. I'm looking at getting 4.11 diff gears, a 3000 RPM stally, possibly a bigger or twin TB, a stage 4 performance memcal and larger injectors. Now keeping in mind that I am on a bit of a budget lol, is there any other advice you guys can give a newby (who is very limited in knowledge mechanically) for performance gains?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance :beer chug:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
a stage 4 performance memcal and larger injectors.

Where are you getting this memcal from? What's 'stage 1' let alone stage 4?

Any ebay memcal you buy won't be set up for larger injectors (or set up well at all really).

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...126529-stock-304-guide-choosing-camshaft.html

This is a good link on camshafts for 5 litres. If you have a cam with too much lift and the stock manifold it can hinder your performance because the manifold isn't flowing enough.

A fuel system upgrade could help too. Maybe look at a better pump aswell as injectors. See if you can find out your cam specs and get onto the manifold!

Also 4.11's are super short in 2nd gen Commodore's. Might want 3.9's with an auto. A dyno tune would probably be best aswell.

BigMoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubby
Where are you getting this memcal from? What's 'stage 1' let alone stage 4?

Any ebay memcal you buy won't be set up for larger injectors (or set up well at all really).

It WAS going to be from ebay but now I'm not so sure...

I'm just going off the description in Holden Commodore VS V8 5L Auto Stage 4 Perf Memcal | eBay so I'm really not sure what stage 4 is lol

I appreciate the feedback so far guys keep it coming :D

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
've recently acquired a VS BT1 5.0L and I'm looking to do some performance upgrades as it doesn't seem to have the power I would expect from a 5.0L.

The 5.0 litre V8 is only a small little V8 to begin with, so they need a fair bit of work to get em going half decent.. When theyre standard theyre not much better than a V6 really. Maybe look at stroking it out to a 350 CI or bigger...

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It WAS going to be from ebay but now I'm not so sure...

I'm just going off the description in Holden Commodore VS V8 5L Auto Stage 4 Perf Memcal | eBay so I'm really not sure what stage 4 is lol

I appreciate the feedback so far guys keep it coming :D

Don't bother. Members at Delcohacking have pulled his tunes apart and they're junk. His ECU's are terrible too. There are some good mail-order tuners on the forum or even over at Delcohacking. Even on the stock setup, a good tune will change the way the car reacts as the factory tunes are pretty conservative to meet emissions.

Although IMHO, when you start changing major components like cams or going FI you should really be getting it tuned on a dyno. There should be a few places in Sydney that will tune the factory Delco ECU.

"Stage 4" is a bit of a marketing term to get people to buy stuff when it comes to tunes - e.g. a stage 4 must be better than a 2 or 3. I've seen Mace use these terms too though for some reason. Cams use this too, but typically have specs to go with it as one brands stage 2 cam will not be the same as another brands stage 2 cam.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I dont think you will be anywhere near maxing out your injectors, just get a tune done to suit your cam - either a custom one or whatever company did your cam might supply or recommend one. all Fitting higher flowing injectors achieves is getting more fuel into the engine in the given time the injector is open (which is controlled by the computer, obviously), but you are going to end up with your air fuel ratios all on the piss because you are pretty much just guessing how much fuel you are putting in at that point.

Also, if whatever company did your cam is able to supply you an off-the-shelf tune to suit (which some do) you dont want bigger injectors because it will only stuff that up.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Big cam so it's probably gone backwards in performance and the stock intake is holding it back. What's the cam specs?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
What sort of performance are you getting now?
I was getting 15.02 400m stock with some minor bolt ons and a memcal.