Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice 5.0L - What should i look out for?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Dunno whether any other stato/caprice owners experience this, but every second person that gets in my car comments on the analogue clock like they've never seen one in a car before. So be prepared for that :p

Yep I get that all the time, I really like it

No idea why people replace the clock with gauges, ruins the clean look of the dash.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I got comments on the clock too in my old VR. it adds a touch of class.

If only they kept the dash clock in the newer ones :(

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I got comments on the clock too in my old VR. it adds a touch of class.

If only they kept the dash clock in the newer ones :(

Went for a ride in a mates WM caprice the other day, and while I don't like new cars I loved the individual gauges on the WM clusters....that's awesome.
holden_statesmancaprice_wm_ser1_27.jpg

Much better than this single window crap most cars today have.

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Gday Everyone

New to the site and to holden (dont hate me)
My wife and I have just bought a VS Caprice with a 5.0L
It was a family owned vehicle since pretty much new (1st owner was SA Government 96-99)

It has 300ish kms, all the mod cons and is in fantastic condition. I just wanted to know of any issues or problems I should look out for?

I'm told it has had some money spent on it with some goodies (exhaust, extractors, tint, rims and suspension) I have included a few snap shots and will upload more shortly.

Looking forward to driving her and pretty keen to see what can be done to her :)

Cheers!

Had my VS Caprice for years and can't imagine I will ever sell it. I am just trying to think what has gone wrong.

Hall effect sensor. That went and had the same symptoms as the CAS in the V6 (Odd stalling, hard to start, eventually no go at all). Easy fix. One central locking motor. Errr. Umm. :) Coil one time. *thinks* Self levelling suspension popped and I replaced with normal. (I will be going back to self levelling). One air con hose let go a few months ago. Replaced, regassed and off we went. Umm... Just had it serviced at local Holden dealer and a few seals were leaking (sump, rocker cover) so all were replaced as it was in there anyhow. Umm. I literally cannot think of anything that has gone bang or kaboom or wasn't just normal service issues.

Biggest issue was a blocked oil pickup (my own fault) which was an bloody nightmare. So keep up the oil changes! And if you drive less than average kays like me, do them based on time, not kays. Lesson learned ;)

Basically its just been normal maintenance and wear and tear. Amazingly reliable and just keeps on ticking. Even still has the original HSV stainless exhaust on it (mine has the HSV 185 kW option) Only half the kays of yours on it tho, so perhaps more problems will come up as it gets more and more mileage on it. Just drove it home a decent distance tonight and again thought to myself how quiet and comfy it is.

Keep it stock, remember it is a comfy comfy barge not a race car, sit back, cruise on, climate on and just enjoy the lovely ride

:)

Last edited:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Wow, the VS Caprice looks like some designed by Oldsmobile.

The sad part is that GM did not shipped that "Oldsmobile" in the USA.

How come Holden kept the good toys and we got Badge Engineered Chevy crap.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
How come Holden kept the good toys

Yeah but you got the camaro, mustang, grand national's etc around the same era.

I know I would prefer them over a Holden any day of the week.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Went for a ride in a mates WM caprice the other day, and while I don't like new cars I loved the individual gauges on the WM clusters....that's awesome.
holden_statesmancaprice_wm_ser1_27.jpg

Much better than this single window crap most cars today have.

the individual windows are nice.

I like the WK/WL style too, the gauges are recessed a little more than the rest of the cluster. the older ones just look flat.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Yeah but you got the camaro, mustang, grand national's etc around the same era.

I know I would prefer them over a Holden any day of the week.

The Mustang, Camaro and Firebird/Trans Am sure, neat ones to have.

The Grand National was a McLaren modified short run car; just like a Shelby Mustang or Roush or some of that nature.
No really a mass produced car and back then were very expensive.

But the rest; nothing but Front Wheel Drive stuff.
During a short time, GM stop producing RWD cars because they were not selling at all.
The only way you could get one was as a Pick Up Truck.

To be honest, I would trade any of those FWD gems for any of your RWD toys :D

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Any car will have it's problems.
The older the car, the older the parts on it (if original parts).
99% of the parts that need to be replaced on a car are expendable and with on older car and original parts on it,
they "seem" to wear out quicker. They don't, it's just they're older. That's expected.

Keep up the services at the recommended intervals and check, or get checked, for any irregularities through out the car every now and then.

As said before.....The 5 litre oil pick up can be prone to blockage, so keep up the oil/filter changes
at the proper intervals and you won't have a problem.

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
look out for the coppers! haha jokes.
on a serious note.. oil pressure.. the old 5ltrs had low oil pressure as it is and the pickup always seems to be a problem, it you start to see the oil light flicker (the idiot light) it means the pressures way under what it should be and most likely the pickups blocked. means motor hoisted up and sump off...

really that's the only common problem they have. but if yours is fine don't stress.
besides that its just the common commo probs. oil leaks ect.
btw if its got the rear main leaking you've got trouble. its motor out pretty much.

oh and also if you want to get the barge moving a bit better, in my experience the best bang for buck was definitely diff gears ;)