Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Esteem S2 tail brake lights not working

DownMecab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem S2
Alright, as the title says, my brake lights aren't turning on when I brake.
I'm not sure if it's a problem with the switch because the light above my boot turns on when I brake but the tail lights do not.
The bulbs are fine as they turn on when I turn my headlights on.
This is the diagram for my fuse box, I changed the number 8 fuse even though it looked fine, still nothing.

2bdcc2528a.jpg

This is a random image I found (the circles were already in the image, I didn't put them in), but it looks exactly like mine, except I have a thing where the red circle is and in the yellow circle I have the grey thing with the pink and orange cables coming out of it, but it isn't plugged in, and I don't have the thing that it is attached to, from what I read where the image is posted, it has something to do with cruise control, I don't have a cruise control button so... I dunno.
But also in the yellow circle is the switch and mine looks fine, all plugged in, nothing loose.
94f655fda3.jpg

Are there any other reasons besides: bulbs, fuse and switch that could be causing my tail brake lights to not work? Did I maybe change the wrong fuse? Is there a possibility that the switch can turn on my brake light above my boot but not my tail ones?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Tricky one aye?

Switch sounds fine.

At a total guess, I reckon it is a loom connector with oxidisation causing rhe trouble.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Did you change the globes recently? Are they dual filament globes?

DownMecab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem S2
They are dual fillament, it never even occured to me that only the brake ones could be blown, thanks. I'll change them to see if that's the problem.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Pretty common for only one filament to go in a dual filament globe, especially the brake one as that is the most frequently used one. Not so common for both to go at the same time though, unless one has been blown for a bit. When one goes, the other isn't usually far behind.