Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Thanks mate.
I guess I'll need to get the tune done right after changing the gearing etc.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Well you accomplished step one in finding out your base start line/time to work off.
I think with the gears and tune you will be seeing 14's

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think there is a lot left on the table. I think a big one is the single exhaust/cat system holding it back. Stock diff gears and converter are always going to kill the 60' times unfortunately.

Is this a daily or more of a weekend toy? For a daily I'd go with the 3.73's but if it's more of a toy than maybe consider the step up to 3.9 gears.

I've still got more tuning to do, but at the moment I'm using the same fuel in 3rd at 3000rpm as I'm in 4th at 2200rpm (for roughly the same road speed). Tuned right they don't really suck more gas with more revs when cruising.

Last edited:

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I think there is a lot left on the table. I think a big one is the single exhaust/cat system holding it back. Stock diff gears and converter are always going to kill the 60' times unfortunately.

Is this a daily or more of a weekend toy? For a daily I'd go with the 3.73's but if it's more of a toy than maybe consider the step up to 3.9 gears.

I've still got more tuning to do, but at the moment I'm using the same fuel in 3rd at 3000rpm as I'm in 4th at 2200rpm (for roughly the same road speed). Tuned right they don't really suck more gas with more revs when cruising.

IT's got decent extractors to 2 long 2 inch pipes, then into one 2.5 inch pipe, and it's extremely loud, so want to put a quieter muffler on it and two of those solenoid operated by pass units on it, just after the extractors.. so it's quiet on the street, but I can open it up when I have fun with it. Thats the plan, but want to see one working first, because my impression of those by pass things, is they might just sound like a loud leaking exhaust if they don't seal well etc..

more of a weekend toy, not daily.

After speaking to people at the races.. 3.7 seems the way to go, waiting on a quote from the local diff join in nerang for 3,7's and true track fitted.

Then take it up to slacks creek for a tune.. but thinking of getting a smaller pully for the blower and getting it tuned at the same time for both pully and gearing.. to a 3 inch 12 Psi pully.. that doesn't need snout machining.. as the cheapest next option I guess.

I never wanted to spend a lot of this thing. So far all up .. 6800 I think for the car.. alternator, sub housing beside the petrol tank LOL
100 for the roady, that's about it so far.. so still a budget toy.

next would be a stall converter I guess, 2200 or 3500 is the question. since they pull great from down low with the blower on them, I'm guessing the 2200 is more than enough, I drove a 3500 a long time ago and it was painful to drive on the street.

Anyone here got a stall converter on an L67?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
2200 will be pointless go 3500 that's what I have. If you regear that also reduces the stall, hence why 3500 is the go.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's the single 2.5" bit in the middle that will be choking it.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So I found out there's a company that takes photos while your racing..
just picked this one up.
Not bad for it's first ever race.

27th_March_Test_N_Tune_2021_-__(522)-(ZF-10307-83678-1-001).jpg

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
well YAY, got to go Roll Racing tonight at Willowbank Raceway.

I could literally see all the stars in the sky due to lack of which seemed like continuous rain LOL

This car performs so much better roll racing compared to drag racing as it is.

My daughter got to do her first ever race tonight in the ute. it was awesome. I did the first run to see what it's all about etc she's in the passenger seat, which is awesome being able to have passengers while you race. Lots of the passengers are videoing everything. Then she had a run and got stuck into it, we both lost our races, but not by all that much which was really surprising.

Then we had turns by ourselves and video'd the races from the side of the track, I did a run, then came in gave my daughter a go.. was awesome to watch her race, then I get an sms "Can I go around again?" answer **** yeah LOL.

All up I had 4 runs she did 7, meaning all up the car did 11 runs, lots of other cars did tons more.

I reckon if I just had 3.7 gears in the back of it, we'd have won a couple of races for sure.. Probably makes sense to get decent gears and a true trac first up and go from there.

angelica roll racing.jpg

screen cap of my daughter racing from one of the videos.

80% of the cars there are pretty extreme, lots of 10 second and sub cars there, but everyones cool and extremely friendly.

You get a ton of runs doing roll racing as compared to drag racing.. you can keep going around and around , the que is only 5 mins max till another run.

Highly recommend it if you haven't done it before, tons of fun and you get so many runs,

The car held up well, drove it home no worries.

The only hard numbers I can give you, the speed limit to go over the line at that track is 200k's we averaged 135 top of 2nd gear at around 6200 (thus near gears would make a ton of difference.)

And from what I'm guessing a lot of the field would have trouble sticking to that rule etc.

Feel free to tag along with us the next race there, we'll be going.

Last edited: