Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
ok I see I messed up the images above

here's the engine.

1642934880692.png

1642934891992.png

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Where is NAWS bro...you know 2 of the big ones brah.

Might want to add decent breather & catchcan setup to list of things to buy now you've turn things up to 11 haha

Really like how you don't need our encouragement to make decisions like this....reminds of younger days with mates when people used to build cars.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Hey @immortality

Love this post you made in another thread.

1643246296803.png

I'm putting a reservoir on mine in the back..

so I can ice it etc..

I'm having trouble deciding on the size of this reservoir etc.

The larger = more weight etc..

I know Scotty is doing a video shortly on adding a reservoir to his one, so I'll probably wait to see how he does it.. (Love his videos btw)

I was thinking of this one.

1643246473261.png

pretty large opening..I can put a tap on one of the bottom holes to let fluid out and ice it..

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I can't comment on size but I'm sure it'll be a learning experience. After fitting tank do a run and monitor how much the temperatures increase using just water, then try again with ice added. you'll soon work out whether there is enough cooling capacity or you want more etc.

It's also good if you can run the pump when the engine is off so you can cool stuff down, probably need to be able to run the thermofan as well and/or put an a bypass switch on your thermofan so when you're sitting in the queue waiting on your next run you can run the thermofan continuously and keep that front mounted heat exchanger cool etc.

Reactions: Lex

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I'm running the heat exchanger in the back of the ute, 1, because size, 2, eventually I'll have the turbo front mount IC at the front.

Not sure how I'm going to wire it.. the thermos are going to draw a lot of current, the water pump not so much, will just have to test as you said, run them both while ignition is on and take it from there I guess.

It's got a brand new alternator on it, at the time tried to find a high amp alt.. but couldn't find one, so have standard amp output.

I'm going to run the 10 litre tank and see how that goes.. that's 10 kilos of weight, which is better than the 20L one I was choosing between.

Got some young mobile mecahnics to come around yesterday and quote to do the engine here at my place, really nice young dudes, again Meeting really nice people doing this project.

They'll be starting 8 am this coming Tuesday, they are doing the engine swap.. then I'll do the external W2A stuff.

So, we are slowly getting there, I can't wait to take it out again.

At least this time when I take it out, I know when I push it into 3rd gear. it will just go into 3rd and not hit the limiter and die again.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
The heat exchanger arrived today, I think if I can fit it under the back of the ute in the spare wheel well, that will be much better, means I'll still be able to actually use the ute as a ute.. fraction more weight over the rear wheels can't be too bad either.

So I'll measure that up in the morning and see if it will fit.

I bought a chrome tap to release the water out of the system so I can put ice in the reservoir, so I can put that tap back there also to release the water.

I bought a nice big water filter for it also.. which goes before the water pump, so the ice doesn't chew it up.

In theory it should all work. LOL in theory. we'll see.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I've heard on a few videos of people saying, you need to change your oil more frequently if running E85 etc.

Khyl told me which oil to use in this new motor etc.

Question is, how often should you change the oil? (And filter)

As a semi daily and race it at least once per month.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Bit of pressure now. Well, there will be a bit of pressure then too.