Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS: sell or keep?

commy_traitor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
My father has a stock VS Executive as a "spare car". No body damage, but the paint is gone from the roof and bonnet. Roof liner replaced a few years ago. Odometer stuck on 213K. Boot doesn't open. Ran until a few weeks ago when the radiator finally cracked. The local wrecker says it's worth $200 if picked up, $250 if we drive it to him. He's had it for 20 years and can't quite let go. Should he keep it until it becomes a "classic"? He sold an FJ wagon back in 1992 for pennies. Apparently it's a classic now (but his was more rust than metal when he sold it).

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
I am hanging onto one, but it's genuine 120,000 km and is in good nick: only the fan speed resistor needs changing.
Your dad's sounds like it's too far gone. You would have to wait a long time before it becomes a restoration project.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Got 7 of them myself and pretty much have to agree with what's been suggested by "Jasminka".

This is much the same scenario as the VS Acclaim wagon I bought a few weeks ago with only 98,000K's on it but has totally shot paint on it being that it's Moroccan Sand.

If this was 20 years later, then I could say I've got something special, but sadly the VS and VT are at their lowest value point in their timeline and that's not going to change any time soon unless it's a factory built 5 Litre variant, but Ecotecs are basically boat anchors or mooring points at the moment, something I recall what 186 and 161's were some years back now.

There's plenty old Holden 6's chained together and dropped into the drink down at the SA Yacht Squadron dock.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sell it for sure - even 6 cylinder vc/vh etc aren't worth huge money and theyre 15-20 years older than a vs. If it were a factory v8 it may be a different story.

I'd take the 200 and save yourself any more hassle. I've had more vs' than I can count. When they're in that condition, you won't find somebody willing to pay more than 200 as a private seller.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Yeah send it to the nackers yard...the more that go the higher the value of my VR will go lol.....Unless you have plenty of room to store it for a long time move it on.....by time they are sort after the country will have banned human piloted vehicles....also if its a runner burn out and padock bashers get a little but more money...also phone around just got rid of a VX that had been rear ended, we ended up with $115 refund on the rego $300 from a wreaker that picked it up and I still have the spare wheel and 10 cd stacker in the garage :)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It's gotta be worth more than that just in scrap ? We're getting around $300 for a full car here in Adelaide if you go to the right place. You need to ask around.

Gotta agree with Wozza in regards to non piloted vehicles taking over within the next 10 years and piloted ones being run out of town for good. Not sure how it's going to work with folks that have rare vehicles like a HK 327 etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shame it's not a VR and not in Launceston. I am looking for a V6 donor but am having quite a bit of trouble finding one at the right price, ie $200 or less. People down here seem to think a bomb is worth 1000-1500 bucks.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I don't believe we'll have self driving cars here for at least another 30-40 years, probably more. True artificial intelligence isn't really possible - at this point in time anyway. The issue of accountability is what will prevent the technology from progressing and being implemented.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
I don't believe we'll have self driving cars here for at least another 30-40 years, probably more. True artificial intelligence isn't really possible - at this point in time anyway. The issue of accountability is what will prevent the technology from progressing and being implemented.
yeah thats about how long it would take for VR/VS to be worth any decent $$$$ ...only way driverless cars will be viable if the others are off the road. ...besides Ill be dead by then...that said it would be heaps of fun playing chicken with a driverless car :D

commy_traitor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Thanks for the replies. Feels like putting down your pet. I just realised that I don't remember the last time I saw a VT on the road, yet I see VSs now and then. I digress, but I always thought the VT was the best looking Commodore.