Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Series 2 engine rattle?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Just hope I can get to the prob from what im doing,
so do I....... before the VK went bang I went to a number of mechanics to try and work out what the rattle was, majority said lifters so 3 days and 400$ later I was gutted when the rattle was still there..
evently found out what it was :D little end bearing had gone bye bye

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Pull ur rocker covers off and see if one of the rockers are noisy, sounds like a bolt has stretched or has broken.

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
so do I....... before the VK went bang I went to a number of mechanics to try and work out what the rattle was, majority said lifters so 3 days and 400$ later I was gutted when the rattle was still there..
evently found out what it was :D little end bearing had gone bye bye
That's what I don't want, if it seems to buggered or I think I fixed it and still does it I'll get a decent 2nd hand donk. I be gutted to mate after losing $400 and still having the prob.

Pull ur rocker covers off and see if one of the rockers are noisy, sounds like a bolt has stretched or has broken.
Rockers are good mate, that's the first thing I checked. I wish it was the case but seems to be deeper in the donk:(

D

devilly

here's a thought when you moved the camera to the back right passengers side and the noise was louder sounds to me like the mainifold is leaking on the exhust system,is there any smell under there? or smoke? can check for this at night time with a torch to see if any smoke is leaking.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
here's a thought when you moved the camera to the back right passengers side and the noise was louder sounds to me like the mainifold is leaking on the exhust system,is there any smell under there? or smoke? can check for this at night time with a torch to see if any smoke is leaking.

Baby powder works day and night time. Sprinkle/coat a little on the flanges and manifold face. If it fluffs up, you have a leak.

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute

Baby powder works day and night time. Sprinkle/coat a little on the flanges and manifold face. If it fluffs up, you have a leak.

Thanks guys ill give it a go when she is running again.

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Okay, so i pulled the balancer off tonite and the chain tensioner dampner spring was broken and the tensioner shoe has disappeared, the tensioner was slapping back and forth on the chain then back to the case in which it has ground thru a bit of the case. If you can please watch the vid hopefully this is the prob, on the first vid it seems extremely loud but standing in front of the engine it was more like a rattle where the vid seems like a bunch of coins in each cylinder. Thanks in advance guys.
ne4e4uru.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
That would do it, think I paid $7 for my last tensioner....easy fix

That chain has a fair bit of slack in it judging by your vid....even without the tensioner it looks quite loose, looks like its stretched from high milage....I would replace it before putting it all back together

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Yeah i to thought it was a bit more slack then it should have been even without the tensioner, so far im up for a chain tensioner, timing cover gasket, crank seal and a timing chain. Thanks for your input buddy.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi mate
yeah the tensioner prob in the sump...no Idea how to get it out or if it safe down there, maybe someone will chime in as its a common problem....so your looking at a $250+ repair :(
Whilst that lot will make a racket Im not 100% sure why your 1st recording sounds louder towards the back passenger side of the motor.....
Im also not sure what to advise, I suppose cheap way is to check the chain against the manual spec if close bung in a new tensioner, slap it back together cross your fingers :) start her up.... if the noise is fixed or a lot less then later replace the chain.....