Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SL/R 5000 does exist

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just as we are talking about Regency Park inspection station, I took my VS Series II Calais through there and it flew through the numbers check as it came from Victoria and all was up to date. They swooned over it a bit and had me do all the bonnet lifting etc. and within 15 minutes I was free to go. Strangely though I seemed to jump the queue while others that were there before me still hadn't had their cars seen to. One poor guy had his car up on the hoist and got called into the soundproof booth at the rear and there was a lot of desk slamming and wall kicking going on and then the door open and the guy left with his head down and muttering obscenities as he left, meanwhile the vehicle he brought in stayed up on the hoist indefinitely. Obviously the guy bought a hot car from over the border and did his dough.

Honestly, with Regency, it depends on the person and what sort of day/week they have had....ie, have they had a knock back or got lucky with their partner....I have seen some cars fly through, that are fit for the tip, and some that are fairly neat and tidy and have been through with a fine tooth comb, with small faults found.

I can also tell you, you are lucky if you find a qualified mechanic there....They have chippies, desk jockies and 2nd or 3rd year apprentices working there.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps

The VL dash had Oil pressure along with a charging (volt not amp) gauge as standard in Berlina upwards, something that was started in the HT Monaros onwards. As previously mentioned it still looks very individual and crisp today and those graph facias are absolutely gold IMHO.

VB-VK SL/E SL/X stuff had all these gauges too.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
VB-VK SL/E SL/X stuff had all these gauges too.

Yes that's why I said in my previous post "HT onwards" as all the sports dash assemblies had the amp volt gauge along with an oil pressure unit up until the VL.

Oh and how can we forget that so important Economy Gauge (vacuum gauge) in the early Commodores.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
To be brutally honest every dash in today's cars look damm boring and much the same as each other. The amount of engine information is deplorable, just a fuel and temp gauge along with a giant speedo and a silly little tacho that's not even needed in the average 4 cylinder.

The VL dash had Oil pressure along with a charging (volt not amp) gauge as standard in Berlina upwards, something that was started in the HT Monaros onwards. As previously mentioned it still looks very individual and crisp today and those graph facias are absolutely gold IMHO.

Not quite. Holden first introduced a decent instrument package with the X2 engine option in the HD in 1965. Instead of the fuel gauge and warning lights, you got volts, oil pressure, temperature and fuel in the single cluster. It was a neat package and worth fitting to non X2 cars as an option, but few did.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes Calaber you are correct as I did think about the X2's in the HD~HR range but they really weren't as common as the GTS 186S model HK onwards, but remembering I was referring to a full contingent with a tacho and that wasn't introduced into the dash until HT as HK had it sitting on the console and X2 didn't have it at all. Pretty sure S4 EH had nothing different in the dash.

Also wasn't the X2 an Amp gauge and not Volts ? Always thought an amp gauge was a far better indicator of a healthy alternator than a volt gauge.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes Calaber you are correct as I did think about the X2's in the HD~HR range but they really weren't as common as the GTS 186S model HK onwards, but remembering I was referring to a full contingent with a tacho and that wasn't introduced into the dash until HT as HK had it sitting on the console and X2 didn't have it at all. Pretty sure S4 EH had nothing different in the dash.

Also wasn't the X2 an Amp gauge and not Volts ? Always thought an amp gauge was a far better indicator of a healthy alternator than a volt gauge.

From memory, the S4 EH had better brake shoe compound and possibly a larger fuel tank...Otherwise nothing really different from the run of the mill EH....Of course, this is from a poor memory too, so I might be wrong

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My 'tick the boxes' 186S HK had the full complement, but not the console tacho. It had a fugly awful strip speedo in it.
My memory of S4s, they had sintered metal brake shoes and a manual 3 speed box with 179, back when the 179 came only with auto gearbox. They were considered too powerful for ordinary drivers. We must have learned how to handle the extra 'powa' very quickly after the 1963 Bathurst 500.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They were considered too powerful for ordinary drivers. We must have learned how to handle the extra 'powa' very quickly after the 1963 Bathurst 500.

Maybe it was the 179HP block?? lol

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Yeah, prob was amps. Years since I had mine. Tacho? A really rare option on HD was a clock, which fitted between the two normal gauges. I had a neat tacho installation in that spot on my cars but you're right, no tacho option back then.