Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman 5.0 Donor for VH SL/X

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No offence VC @ You seem to read something and interpret in another way, I was referring to larger wheels like 18/19/20 “ as in HEIGHT .... like I noted in my last post being the legal combo amount of 15mm above the largest wheel n tyre set by the manufacture as legal, after that size you need to get legal modification done I wasn’t talking about track either.

Generally its about 2 rims sizes above standard if you can find a low profile tyre to fit in the legal limit with the extra 15mm. There are vb/vc/vh/eh/hr and plenty other makes that came out with rims as 14” and they are running around with 17 – 19” rims with big brakes without legal modification, which the brakes wouldn’t fit under their factory +15mm wheels.

Not reading it another way...You seem to be remembering back 15 years ago with the rim sizing...Yes it used to be 2 over, but not anymore....With the array of different tyre profiles and sizings, it is possible to get the rolling radius within the maximum wheel tyre combo available for a particular vehicle

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sounds like you don’t have the new club rego on cars that came into force/started 3 years ago. The old one was historic rego.

Clubs don’t do inspections. When you first apply at meeting, even online, just pics of car on phone/usb/photos are enough to register with photo taken of you for your membership card, and you do the form for the cars you want on rego, pay the money get your 3 year log book stamped and off you go to service sa, pay $90 and your good for 90 days that financial year.
Club doesn’t do any 1 or 2 yearly car inspections, no inspector comes out.....if your pay your club the full 3 years on log book and get 3 stamps plus your 3 year club/car membership you don’t see them at all until you need new log book, you just go to SERVICE SA each year to renew rego where you have your own customer number for all vehicles.

As you said last bit in post @@@@ I say did, because I believe rules have changed since I obtained club rego, allowing a bit more freedom with "modifications" away from factory specs and I'm not upto date with those...

Again I say ANY legal light car modifications are handled/done by GOVT SERVICE SA/regency not by the club/s. In order to get $90pa rego you have to join a club who administer the log books on behalf of the SA govt, not the legalities of the vehicle/s.

Clubs inspect the cars on site....Clubs also inspect cars every 1 or 2 years (or at least the club I'm with) to ensure they still comply with the rules..

$90 per year...I'm getting ripped...It costs me $130 per year

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Not reading it another way...You seem to be remembering back 15 years ago with the rim sizing...Yes it used to be 2 over, but not anymore....With the array of different tyre profiles and sizings, it is possible to get the rolling radius within the maximum wheel tyre combo available for a particular vehicle

You keep repeating in a few post the same stuff with actually reading the last posts properly, I am talking about today nothing to do with PAST SHEET your going on about...

I was implying the standard combo height plus 15mm IS ABOUT 2 rims sizes with low profile tyres above standard+15mm to be ok/legal ........ ANYTHING over and you need to do legal mod procedures as in form MR620.
My example of 17-20” wheel combo on early cars with 14” standard =+15mm.. is not legal unless modified compliant...End of story

I suggest reading form MR1457 if you haven’t done so yet, phone numbers/emails in it and ring THE SA GOVT vehicle standards to confirm any of your queries. Also where you work in suspension shop, you/shop should know/give out correct legal info for clients getting possible mods on their cars.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Clubs inspect the cars on site....Clubs also inspect cars every 1 or 2 years (or at least the club I'm with) to ensure they still comply with the rules..

$90 per year...I'm getting ripped...It costs me $130 per year

Clubs don’t inspect cars or have to or do any yearly inspections or what you posted about legal compliance of cars. At first registration with club, pics of car/rego plate and your licence plus your old/current SA registration details certificate is enough to confirm to join. You then take your club detail to service sa to process your new/renew car rego when its due, though your club membership renewal is different time to your rego expiry date in the same financial year.

RING SMASA club who founded the SA Club Rego scheme with the sa govt if you want/need confirmation of correct facts.

The $90 you pay rego to SERVICE SA. You pay club $40 annual membership plus extra $20 for any car for log book to be on the scheme. GRAND TOTAL FOR CLUB REGO SCHEME FOR 1 CAR FOR 2019-2020 FINACIAL YEAR IS $150.
So I don’t know why you state you’re getting ripped of for $130.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
6cyl driveline/suspension & even the brakes will be fine just to get it up & running...will still last ok if don't go too crazy.

Seen too many people freak out from information overload or think they can't do things untill buy this,that,this etc nlow their budget or lose motivation.

Wanted to see what parts he has to use,budget & mechanical experience or help from mates then go from there.

Budget d.i.y builds are best way to learn & usually more fun than a big budget pretty car.
Actually I can’t understand why you are posting this ???? as the guy hasn’t been back here and hasn’t started yet ... plus between you and me nearly covered everything he needs.

I was posting for him or her wanting to get the car legal thus using most standard parts. Without the big bullsheet shining after market bling.

Yep agree, best way to learn without being spoon fed

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You keep repeating in a few post the same stuff with actually reading the last posts properly, I am talking about today nothing to do with PAST SHEET your going on about...

I was implying the standard combo height plus 15mm IS ABOUT 2 rims sizes with low profile tyres above standard+15mm to be ok/legal ........ ANYTHING over and you need to do legal mod procedures as in form MR620.
My example of 17-20” wheel combo on early cars with 14” standard =+15mm.. is not legal unless modified compliant...End of story

I suggest reading form MR1457 if you haven’t done so yet, phone numbers/emails in it and ring THE SA GOVT vehicle standards to confirm any of your queries. Also where you work in suspension shop, you/shop should know/give out correct legal info for clients getting possible mods on their cars.

So you do wheels and tyres for a living? When you do, reply because what you are saying is 15 year old crap...END OF STORY...

I deal with this stuff day in day out and me fitting illegal stuff, puts my employer in the court room, if the car has an accident with it being fitted

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Clubs don’t inspect cars or have to or do any yearly inspections or what you posted about legal compliance of cars. At first registration with club, pics of car/rego plate and your licence plus your old/current SA registration details certificate is enough to confirm to join. You then take your club detail to service sa to process your new/renew car rego when its due, though your club membership renewal is different time to your rego expiry date in the same financial year.

RING SMASA club who founded the SA Club Rego scheme with the sa govt if you want/need confirmation of correct facts.

The $90 you pay rego to SERVICE SA. You pay club $40 annual membership plus extra $20 for any car for log book to be on the scheme. GRAND TOTAL FOR CLUB REGO SCHEME FOR 1 CAR FOR 2019-2020 FINACIAL YEAR IS $150.
So I don’t know why you state you’re getting ripped of for $130.

How many cars do you have on historic? How many years have you been dealing with historic rego?

Me, I have 4 on historic and have been dealing with it for 15 years and I can tell you, what you have posted is a load of crap

Oh and all clubs have varying rates for membership....

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
What surprises me is the requirement to have a narrow neck fuel filler. The reason for the narrow neck was to stop people putting leaded petrol in cars designed for unleaded petrol. Doesn't seem to be much point now we only have unleaded petrol.

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Hi all, sorry for the delay, been a busy long weekend!

SL/X have rear discs don't they?
I remember my vh sl/x wagon had rear discs + first factory car with hei & electric choke...that was a high tech daily for me in 90's haha

I think discs were an option for the 202 SL/X's - My rear end looks pretty 'original' lol.. And I think mine had an electric choke too at some point, as there's two wires loose in the bay right near the carb - but someone chucked a Holley 350 on it at some point and ran a manual choke cable through the firewall, screwed to the steering column.

Some further info. When you go for rego just leave stock VH front disk brakes in case you need engineer’s report/pit inspection for front brake conversion. Do the VS front change after.
Also you can reuse the hsv type steel headers with Y piece that should be on the v8 stato with the factory cat n muffler and then just get a single exhaust extended to the rear as a cheap workable option.

Yep that's the plan I think - I'll just get the necessities ticked off for a simple run through regency, and I can look at more upgrades as I go along. I just found out that a bloke I used to work with now runs a business engineering car modifications, so that's a nice bonus, he might be handy soon!

Thanks so much for the help guys, especially Vin999 and Gtrboyy - you're both wizards!

As far as budget goes, I've got probably enough to cover the necessary bits n pieces to get it up and running, and it just comes down to asking/begging the wife for more as I need it! :p

I think I'm gonna go with a trans crossmember from Tuff Mounts, and I was planning on buying the pacemakers, but stock headers might be nice to get it across the line for now and I can take my time to plan a 'nicer' exhaust setup without it holding up the build. All my mates' hoists are being used with their bloody projects so I'm gonna have to rough it and get her done in the garage on stands.. but I've done a couple of commy engines this way in my younger days so I'm used to it..

Got a few mates keen to sink beers and hold torches for me, and one mate in particular who's an engine builder and master welder, so I'll definitely be bribing him with some craft beers and a few bucks whenever I need something special sorted!

Hopefully I can also whinge about the condition of my tools through this process and the wife will let me get some nice new stuff ;)

I was standing at Semaphore boxing day watching all the cars on their way to Jafs cruise, and I swore to my mate that I'd have the VH converted by the next Jafs - so It has to be up and running by xmas.. Except rego runs out in a few weeks and I'd ideally like to have it all converted when I re-register it in spring - so this will be my winter project.

Longer term, I want to get the conversion done and a few things upgraded so it's just a nice cruiser that I can hop in and enjoy.. And then maybe in a year or two later I'll have collected all the little bits n' pieces like rubbers, new carpet and new door belts, I'll strip it all back down and send it off for some minor rust repairs and a nice fresh coat of paint and pinstripes.

Things are all happening now.. I just dropped a deposit on the donor car yesterday, hopefully pick it up on the weekend :D:D:D

p7EOhgPh.jpg

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
How many cars do you have on historic? How many years have you been dealing with historic rego?

Me, I have 4 on historic and have been dealing with it for 15 years and I can tell you, what you have posted is a load of crap

Oh and all clubs have varying rates for membership....

Historic, left-hand drive and street rod vehicle registration

The SA Government has made changes to simplify the conditional registration scheme for historic, left hand drive and street rod vehicles. This includes renaming the scheme to ‘Club Registration – A 90 day conditional registration scheme For Historic, Left Hand Drive and Street Rod vehicles’.

No such thing as historic rego anymore, apart from just getting a permit for say a special event for a day or more for unregistered cars to be driven just for the permit date.