Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs t boned, maybe write off

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Don't know where you got your info from, if any main structural damage to the pillars, the car is written off every time. The chassis/shell of the car which holds the body and structure of the car relies on it's 'rigidity' to maintain the structure of the car, if one part is damaged it's like a domino affect, everything is out of line.

If the pillar is bent, car is goin to the wrecker and you get a nice fat check for a new car.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
Don't know where you got your info from

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the he is perhaps one of those *cough* "mechanics" that does wiper blade fitting at supercheap, therefore making him an expert on the subject of automotive body repairs.

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I had a metal light pole land on the roof of my car, didn't fall flat, cables under pole held it in ground so just laying 45 degrees on car roof. They basically chopped off the roof at the bottom of the pillars and welded a new one on. You would think that would compromise the structural integrity but its as good as gold. I'm sure they could do something here.

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
You better be able to back that up there son.

In short, if the pillar or structural sections are affected - and if you read up a little it has been said - it CAN be fixed, but it SHOULDN'T.

Damn straight. Backyard idiots can and do 'fix' anything, but if you drive a car with a 'repaired' B pillar, you are just nuts. Car goes in bin. It's just not worth the risk.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
If the pillar can be removed from the shell along the original seam, the body re-aligned and a new pillar fitted with the correct welds, how would this be any different?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
It'll Buff Out....

There is always someone who says that :rofl2:

The OP's insurance company will not do much as he only has 3rd party + fire with them. It is all up to the other insurance company.

It's up the the crash repairer to say it's a write-off or not. If they need the buisness, they could probably fix it but would need to quote under market value. If the quote is around market value or over, the insurnce company will definately write it off.

If it was me, I would be getting out any good stuff you have ie. stereo and just put a cheapy back in there. It doesn't even need to be wired up, just in place.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Off topic,
My old VT was as bent as a bannana, and they were going to 'fix it' (borderline, said they could fix it but would cost a mint...)
Just when the panel beater (big respectable bussisness) asked me what was my opinion, with the answer being "I don't want it back" he wrote it off,

Food for thought...

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Are there any ripples in the roof ??? or any on the floorpan you can see underneath ??