Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs tail shaft is to high and won't bolt to rear diff

Daves95vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 Vs commodore wagon executive, 3.8 v6 ecotec
Hey guys I haven't done these much before but I replaced my centre bearing and one of my uni joints, Ive lined everything up right and i just can't bolt the tailshaft onto the diff, I tried it when the centre bearing was bolted to the car and it's to tight to bolt to the diff and it's gonna reck my new bearing, Ive got no idea Ive tried to lift the rear wheels and even tried lowering the car to the ground but it's still to high

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you bolt the centre bracket in the right place? They can go in two ways IRS and live is different. Been years since I fitted a shaft in a VR but IIRC it's the way the bracket points. @Immortality would know for sure he seems to have great memory re repairs on Gen II's.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Undo the centre carrier bolts and let it sit on the hand brake cable, then try pushing the drive shaft fully forward, then bolt on drive shaft to the diff and attach the centre hanger bearing last.

Daves95vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you bolt the centre bracket in the right place? They can go in two ways IRS and live is different. Been years since I fitted a shaft in a VR but IIRC it's the way the bracket points. @Immortality would know for sure he seems to have great memory re repairs on Gen II's.
I made sure that was the right was as it was making the tailshaft go sideways when it was in wrong but I'll give him a message and see what he says too, thanks.

Daves95vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Undo the centre carrier bolts and let it sit on the hand brake cable, then try pushing the drive shaft fully forward, then bolt on drive shaft to the diff and attach the centre hanger bearing last.
I tried to do the bearing least and it wouldn't even reach the bolt holes and I had to use my jack to Push the tailshaft upbut still won't line up, It's weird cause the front half of the tail shaft won't go in fully when the bolts on the centre bearing are done up it's probably a 15 mm gap from being fully in, and I didnt realise till now but do you know why would there be oil coming out of the transmission instead of tranny fluid when I take the tailshaft out?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wonder if you have assembled it wrong when replacing the hanger bearing.

Daves95vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wonder if you have assembled it wrong when replacing the hanger bearing.
I'll take it out and have a look at it again cause I reckon I did something wrong cause it was in there right before I took it out, I'll get back to you on how it went.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It should look like this,
IMG_2112.jpg

Daves95vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
It should look like this,
View attachment 260443
I took it off and it was just the bracket around the centre bearing and it was bent on a weird angle I dunno how it got like that, it's stopped making noises at all It just keeps leaking oil out of the end that goes into the transmission