Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v8 5 Litre Oil pressure issues Sump Removal?

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Good idea... i have to do mine now :(

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
if your going to pull engine out to do the pick up i suggest doing your rear main while its out. bit more work but less hassle in the long run

Can you do the rear main without removing the entire crank? I think I have seen one post one here where someone managed to do it somehow....Not sure.....I always thought you had to remove the crank?

joely1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5speed
just a quick update on the situation, its looking like the engine will probably have to come out.. Few days ago i ran a oil flush through it, while the pump was off i sprayed wd40 down the pickuphole on the block (the part the oil pump bolts to) i then blew compressed air down that in hope to loosen some **** on the pickup.. i then heavily primed the pump with grease. put it all back together. started up and it made pressure and was pumpng oil.. highes it got on idle was arond 25psi then dropped to around 13 once it was warm.. So i ran it for around 10 mins.. then dumped the oil with oil flush in it. replaced oil and filter. started again and once again it made pressure.. so i let it run for a little while, all good. i then decided to take it for a drive, got about 500m down the road shifted from 2nd to 3rd and then the oil pressure completely dropped off. so I'm back to where i started.

Also when filling the engine with new oil i filled then quickly looked in the oil cap hole to see a pool of oil with what was quite obviusly coolant seperated in the oil. So it's looking like there are bigger problems.. although im nearly losing no coolant?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like a vally gasket has let go too... Yeah there isn't really any easy way out of this mate. It will be a good learning curve for you if you havn't had and engine apart before. Its fairly easy to do both the valley, and sump/engine removal.

Take the engine out, then start with the valley cover, once unbolted you will find it hard to remove, just ease a thin screw driver around the edges, clean it up, replace it all, bolt it up then flush some old but clean oil back into the engine after you have resealed the valley cover to help push through any bits of gaskets or gasket maker that would have fallen in weird places.

Flip the engine over and remove the sump..... my other posts explains what to do from there....

joely1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5speed
Thers probably a good chance the head gaskets' are buggered too hey? . . yeah wish i had the time.. and yeh i've only got limited knowledge but have a few tools- im a plumber. But hopefully get something sorted within the next couple weeks
Sounds like a vally gasket has let go too... Yeah there isn't really any easy way out of this mate. It will be a good learning curve for you if you havn't had and engine apart before. Its fairly easy to do both the valley, and sump/engine removal.

Take the engine out, then start with the valley cover, once unbolted you will find it hard to remove, just ease a thin screw driver around the edges, clean it up, replace it all, bolt it up then flush some old but clean oil back into the engine after you have resealed the valley cover to help push through any bits of gaskets or gasket maker that would have fallen in weird places.

Flip the engine over and remove the sump..... my other posts explains what to do from there....

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not really....A head gasket is a big call.. You'd know well in advance if you had done one or both of them,.. Power would of gone down and the oil you changed would of been milky... Trust me, its a valley cover gasket...

Where are you located?

shanbeau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1
Pretty sure yours isnt as easy a fix as mine but for people that use the search function.

I had the same oil light/pressure dramas when i recently picked up my new VS 5.0L, Every start the oil pressure light would come on and eventually go away after the engine warmed a little but everytime i took it for a decent drive the second i gave it a hard time the light would re-appear, so i would pull over let it sit and baby it home this is how i fixed the problem without sump removal etc.

First of all i used a liqui-moly engine flush, put it all in and idled car for 20 mins and every 5 minutes or so i would bring the revs upto 1500-2000 for 3-5 seconds to give it that little extra clean, dropped oil while it was hot and wow in disgust black chunks and black syrup poured out, let every single drop pour out.

Then thru the sump plug with a spray bottle filled with diesel and a long nozzle i gave it the spraying of its life with about a litre of diesel and let it all drain out, removed the rocker covers and cleaned them spotless and cleaned up the rockers and every nook and cranny i could get to by hand with diesel in a spray bottle being very carefull not to dislodge and large clumps without removing them, then new gasket and refitted them, new oil filter and filled with shell hx3 20-50W multigrade diesel and petrol oil that has high detergents and cleaning properties etc.

On startup i immeadiately noticed the light only stayed on for about 5-10 seconds not the usual 20+, so i let the car idle for about an hour with the new oil and fresh clean out while going out and giving it a few revs every now and then took for a small 20-30 min drive bought it home, turned it off and let it cool and sit overnight.

Next morning the oil light was on after it started for only a split second, so i let it idle in the garage again with the few revs followed by a 20-30 min drive again let it sit again overnight and the next morning no oil light, so i took it for a longer drive and gave it a small thrashing up hills, high revs and a bit of wheel spin and no oil light to my amazement ( i would only have to put my footdown and the oil light was coming on before), took it home dropped the diesel/petrol oil and already could see a large discoulourment from only around 200 km's driving and a few hours idling, new filter again and some semi synth oil and havent seen the oil light 3 weeks later, to be sure i fitted and oil pressure gauge and everything is 100% perfect on startup under load and when its copping an absolute thrashing.

I searched for the answers to my problems on here and couldnt find a definitive answer as to what to do, so i took a little from everyone and came up with that plan of attack which i am so happy i decided to do and has 100% solved my problem.

phear11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L Berlina
Pretty sure yours isnt as easy a fix as mine but for people that use the search function.

I had the same oil light/pressure dramas when i recently picked up my new VS 5.0L, Every start the oil pressure light would come on and eventually go away after the engine warmed a little but everytime i took it for a decent drive the second i gave it a hard time the light would re-appear, so i would pull over let it sit and baby it home this is how i fixed the problem without sump removal etc.

First of all i used a liqui-moly engine flush, put it all in and idled car for 20 mins and every 5 minutes or so i would bring the revs upto 1500-2000 for 3-5 seconds to give it that little extra clean, dropped oil while it was hot and wow in disgust black chunks and black syrup poured out, let every single drop pour out.

Then thru the sump plug with a spray bottle filled with diesel and a long nozzle i gave it the spraying of its life with about a litre of diesel and let it all drain out, removed the rocker covers and cleaned them spotless and cleaned up the rockers and every nook and cranny i could get to by hand with diesel in a spray bottle being very carefull not to dislodge and large clumps without removing them, then new gasket and refitted them, new oil filter and filled with shell hx3 20-50W multigrade diesel and petrol oil that has high detergents and cleaning properties etc.

On startup i immeadiately noticed the light only stayed on for about 5-10 seconds not the usual 20+, so i let the car idle for about an hour with the new oil and fresh clean out while going out and giving it a few revs every now and then took for a small 20-30 min drive bought it home, turned it off and let it cool and sit overnight.

Next morning the oil light was on after it started for only a split second, so i let it idle in the garage again with the few revs followed by a 20-30 min drive again let it sit again overnight and the next morning no oil light, so i took it for a longer drive and gave it a small thrashing up hills, high revs and a bit of wheel spin and no oil light to my amazement ( i would only have to put my footdown and the oil light was coming on before), took it home dropped the diesel/petrol oil and already could see a large discoulourment from only around 200 km's driving and a few hours idling, new filter again and some semi synth oil and havent seen the oil light 3 weeks later, to be sure i fitted and oil pressure gauge and everything is 100% perfect on startup under load and when its copping an absolute thrashing.

I searched for the answers to my problems on here and couldnt find a definitive answer as to what to do, so i took a little from everyone and came up with that plan of attack which i am so happy i decided to do and has 100% solved my problem.

that all sounds good except the part of "every 5 minutes or so i would bring the revs upto 1500-2000 for 3-5 seconds" by adding an engine flush it makes your oil very thin and by revving it its easy to spin a bearing in the motor so i would only reccomend letting it idle!

glad you got yours fixed!

Calais8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Calais
Same thing was happening to me. The oil light would come on when ideling as soon as id take off it would dissapear. I flushed the motor out and run diesel and cheap oil through it to clean all the ****. I then put castrol edge in it and didnt see the light for a good 4 weeks. Now its starting to come back on but only when i put the foot down and it down gears... any ideas?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Same thing was happening to me. The oil light would come on when ideling as soon as id take off it would dissapear. I flushed the motor out and run diesel and cheap oil through it to clean all the ****. I then put castrol edge in it and didnt see the light for a good 4 weeks. Now its starting to come back on but only when i put the foot down and it down gears... any ideas?

The pick up has **** in it or the pump itself is toast.. The pumps are a temperamental piece of machinery and break down all the time....

Start with the pump,(get a new one ) then if it sill brings up your oil light allow yourself an entire weekend to remove the sump and pick up...