Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5.OL no spark

back2holdens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
So the other day i was driving home from work and had to pull over cause the car started running like crap.. Turned out one of leads had come off, no dramas.. went to put it back on and the engine out and now it wont start.. Seems to have no spark, kicks over well and has power to the coil but no spark at the leads.. What could possible be the cause? Prior to this the car had been draining the battery over 3 days with nothing on inside the car.. Also before i pulled over the tacho was stuck at 2 k while idling however this was not the case.. Now ive been reading over the forums and have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities.. It might be either the ECU, coil or the ignition module which im not to sure about the latter..

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated, as moneys tight atm so its gonna be sitting there for a while :( CHeers

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Your coil is ####ed!.. Get a new one, or even a second hand one from the wreckers and you are good to go!

Running the car without a lead, would have put undue stress on the coil causing it to overheat, and crap itself. I had a similar issue about a year ago, after changing the voltage regulator left a lead off and sure enough killed the coil... It's also the cheapest place to start!

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
agreed coil over heat causing short in coil windings common on anything using single coil for multiple cylinders and have an open circuit to one cylinder

back2holdens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Spot on guys!! ended up buying a bosch coil that did the trick, although it had to be mounted differently.. bit confused on where to put it.. For now its on the top of the manifold as i dont have a cover on the engine.. Do u guys no where the best place to put it is? It came with 2 identical brackets, :S .. Whats ur guys thoughts on the battery drawing current while off? CHEERS!

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i've seen a few relocated off to the front of the master cylinder where the braket to the body bolts on. u will need to extend the wiring though