Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT spark issues

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
G'day, can someone please lead me into the right direction:

So, my car v6 VT has a hiccups, let's start at first problem, drove 20min car starts to fart and no power then stalls.

So, like everyone says, plugs, leads, coil, CAS.

Changed out plugs gaped at 1.5mm. NGK LPG.

Changed out CAS. Fuelmiser

Changed Cam sensor to no change so put original back in.

New NGK coils x3.

Cylinders 1 3 5 firing perfect as nice and clean, 2 4 6 not so good 4 been wet, 2 dry and blackish 6 very sooty.
Tested spark via spark plug tester in line they all seem to spark, one side of the DFI 2 4 6 seems to be the problem or is it something else?

Help please.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
G'day, can someone please lead me into the right direction:

So, my car v6 VT has a hiccups, let's start at first problem, drove 20min car starts to fart and no power then stalls.

So, like everyone says, plugs, leads, coil, CAS.

Changed out plugs gaped at 1.5mm. NGK LPG.

Changed out CAS. Fuelmiser

Changed Cam sensor to no change so put original back in.

New NGK coils x3.

Cylinders 1 3 5 firing perfect as nice and clean, 2 4 6 not so good 4 been wet, 2 dry and blackish 6 very sooty.
Tested spark via spark plug tester in line they all seem to spark, one side of the DFI 2 4 6 seems to be the problem or is it something else?

Help please.
When changing coils, are you changing the dfi too?

Have you checked dfi plug, & dfi plug wiring by stripping the plastic & tape of & inspecting the wiring?

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
When changing coils, are you changing the dfi too?

Have you checked dfi plug, & dfi plug wiring by stripping the plastic & tape of & inspecting the wiring?
Hi Lex, no I never changed the dfi, I'm getting spark but seems one side of the block is running to rich, it does it on both fuels, lpg and unleaded.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Lex, no I never changed the dfi, I'm getting spark but seems one side of the block is running to rich, it does it on both fuels, lpg and unleaded.
Have you access to another known working dfi (borrowed from a mate)?

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Have you access to another known working dfi (borrowed from a mate)?
Nope, I tried to buy one on clearance at Repco they said it was in stock, they could not find it, so no nothing to test with, but I'm getting spark at the plugs.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Maybe the spark to weak hard to say with an inline spark tester, but it does spark.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
But enough?
Strange it is on one side of the bank, does the O2 sensors work for all 6 or one for each side, just thinking one may be faulty after backfiring, the honeycomb inside the flow meter OK.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope, I tried to buy one on clearance at Repco they said it was in stock, they could not find it, so no nothing to test with, but I'm getting spark at the plugs.
Most of the dfi around seem to be cactus of the shelf or soon after.

I just go the wreckers & buy the lot, dfi coils & mount. Also have one in the car for spare, with tools to change it.

Was going to Dandenong in 2018 to buy a tranny. Got most of the way there car decided to shity itself.
(whenever this had happened before. The dfi coil packs where always the culprits. Anyway swapped them out, & 10 - 15 min. later l was on my way.

After having these problems in the past & going home & expermenting with different coil packs & dfi's & the coil packs where always suspect (faulty), same with the dfi's. Thats why l change the lot.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange it is on one side of the bank, does the O2 sensors work for all 6 or one for each side, just thinking one may be faulty after backfiring, the honeycomb inside the flow meter OK.
Those plugs should be set 1.00mm, l've also even read on this site .8 mm. This is relation to LPG.