Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5L Lumpy Cam help

M

MattyC

Hi guys,

I would like to make my stock VT 5L calais (apart from twin 2.5" catback) nice and lumpy

Would anyone know what CAM i should get and where I can buy and get it fitted in Perth??

Any help would be appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
5K! got to be joking. I realise the VT has a roller cam & I assume they've factored in a tune (which you will need) but even so
shop around, you'll get a lot better deal than that.

suggestion though, as tempting as it may be, don't go a huge cam on a stock compression 5L. It might sound good, but will more than likely end up going slower
have a look at some of the cam manufacturer websites like Crow or Crane. They usually have a list of their cams, with idle & power characteristics, and what sort of engine combo the cam works best with

M

MattyC

5K! got to be joking

Yeah n then he said depending on what type of cam you want the price can go up :S
****k,
Ill try look up some other people..
Cheers heaps.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
***t 5k i didnt realise it was that much sorry man i dont know of any other place in perth that does 5 litres

M

MattyC

Called up . and he quoted me $2.4k fitted.

That sound about the right price...?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
5K! got to be joking. I realise the VT has a roller cam & I assume they've factored in a tune (which you will need) but even so

suggestion though, as tempting as it may be, don't go a huge cam on a stock compression 5L. It might sound good, but will more than likely end up going slower
have a look at some of the cam manufacturer websites like Crow or Crane. They usually have a list of their cams, with idle & power characteristics, and what sort of engine combo the cam works best with

Dunno - $5k probably includes doing the job properly - new bottom end with hc pistons, do up the heads etc etc etc. I do agree the idea of whacking a big cam into an otherwise stock motor is just stupid. If you want a lumpy idle then just fuel up the idle part of the map via the tune for a fraction of the price.

Reaper

M

MattyC

Do you mean i can just buy a chip or something?

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
do you even realise what changing to a 'reaaaaaaaaaaly lumpy' cam is gonna do to your car? your power range is gonna be at much higher rpm. its gonna run like **** down low, your gonna use alot more fuel and by the sounds this is your daily driver?
just sounds like a stupid thing to do to make your 5L 'Sound' mean when cruising.