Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore won't start (video)

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
The video explains it all. Lately I've had to turn it over 2-3 times to get it to start. It won't start if i turn it to the accs position, only if i start it with a full turn.

I bought a new key and synced it by turning the car on, then swapping the key heads. But it hasn't made it better.

It must be the starter motor or the fuel pump. how can i test both?

Video:
http://youtu.be/pTdtTrFPL4c

D

devilly

check fault codes by bridging pin 5-6,take battery terminals off wait 30mins put back on could be immobilizer needs reset, hold up and down turn on acc wait for reset to be displayed then push mode button.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
I don't reckon its the stater motor.

pull the fuel pump relay out and see if its the same but it sounds like its firing then conking out in the video, if the starter motor is good with the fuel pump relay removed once the car has sucked the fuel in the line out next time you crank it the starter should keep cranking since it has no fuel for as long as you have the key turned or until it runs out of battery.

Could also be the spark plugs, leads, coil packs or DFI module as well since it appears to almost fire then dies after the starter disengages, so it might not have sufficient spark to ignite the fuel and its flooding.

Run the relay test then pull the spark plugs out and see if they are black as ####.

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
It had really bad carbon buildup a while ago. I flushed it out and got an oil change with new plugs but not new leads.

So can i definately rule out the starter motor?

Could it be the fuel pump? It has burnt out before.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
just a thought, if it is firing then stalling immediately, have a really good look at your intake pipe from the airbox. Include looking at the clamps. Check the bottom of the pipe near the throttle body as it is prone to splitting between the ridges. This is what I had with my 1998 VT V6 and it took 3 weeks to find the problem.