Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt how to bleed the air from the cooling system ?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Listen to these guys on here calling this guy an idiot.He does radiators on fleets of heavy vehicles etc,and theres always shiploads of cars there..Its not a small buisness,so Id listen to him before someone on here who may or may not know anything about it,or just knows what they have read somewhere.And if it were true that you HAVE to undo the bleeder screw,then why havent I had problems with all the commodore cooling systems I have done over the last few years ,which would be around 20 or so,probably more.None of these had any problems with hotspots or air pockets or whatever after being filled.I think you are doing something wrong if you have problems with it.

Seems to me there's no difference listenig to that radiator guy or someone on here who is wrong! If bleeding the air out was not nessecary then there would not be a specific tool or a bleed valve plain and simple. I've seen plenty of these cars in a mechanics with a drink bottle stuffed in the radiator as well. Infact the VT to VY manual tells you to bleed it via the bleed screw using a bottle or tube in the top of the radiator to raise the level. You go ahead and do yours whatever way you want but bleeding as described is the proper way end of story.

Attachments

• Bleeding.PNG
    Bleeding.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
All I can say is if it was nessesary to do it,then why havent I had trouble then,answer that..Everyone goes on about "oh but its the right way to do it ", so is using a tension wrench on most nuts and bolts,but tell me how many people actually do that unless its the engine head etc.I havent seen many.I suppose you will say you do and everyone you know does as well because its "the proper way"

Last edited:

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
lmao @ this thread...

I had done heapsss of V6's without bleeding any, from VN-VT. All without any issues, basically just fill up the radiator, start engine, top up as much as possible, fit cap, go for a lap around the block, remove cap - carefully, letting the pressure out slowly, top up radiator. Check the next day.

As advised by other plant mechanics at my old work, they never use to use them (the bleed screw) and never had any problems.

All sweet. Until I tried it on the VY, now they're the same thing, but for some reason it wouldn't work, got a BIG air bubble, temp gauge all over the place etc... Bled from the bleeder screw/valve, all sweet. Done it that way ever since, on any V6.

I use an old "top radiator hose" cut off the straight section. (off a VP) It jams nice and snug into the radiator and blocks off the overflow hose. When its all bled, just tilt it to one side and let the rest drain into the overflow bottle - no waste!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
All I can say is if it was nessesary to do it,then why havent I had trouble then,answer that..Everyone goes on about "oh but its the right way to do it ", so is using a tension wrench on most nuts and bolts,but tell me how many people actually do that unless its the engine head etc.I havent seen many.I suppose you will say you do and everyone you know does as well because its "the proper way"

Just face facts there's a right way and this is published. By the way I use a torque wrench to tighten up the sump plug and the wheel nuts and have seen mechanics do that as well. Who knows why you had no trouble and who cares. Do us a favour and go away, not arguing with you anymore mate!

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The original poster asked for the correct method for bleeding the system, not whether it was necessary or not. Why do so many threads have to turn into arguments?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
The original poster asked for the correct method for bleeding the system, not whether it was necessary or not. Why do so many threads have to turn into arguments?

Exactly, the thread has been answered, in answer to why an argument, some people think they are always right and just like to argue.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
All I have said is that its not nessesary to bleed it, mentioned that a radiator guy told me the same, and you guys all carry on at me like the world will end if you dont use the bleeder..You cant even tell me why I have had no trouble with not using it.And I have just been informed that the VS ecotec workshop manual says that unless you are using holden tool number AU425,it is not nessesary to open the bleeder valve when refilling the radiator..Ive had a quick look and that is exactly what it says.I think the guys that write the workshop manuals know just a bit more that you guys would.They get the technical info for the books straight from holden themselves.Oh,and whos trying to argue,you just say that now because you cant tell me why Ive had no trouble not using the bleeder,.And to the people who said the radiator guy is an idiot,according to the VS ecotec manual hes right,whos the ########s?I just looked in the VP workshop manual.It even says the same thing for VP V6 "dont use the bleeder unless you are using holdens special tool number AU425."

Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2

I agree, but if the OP is taking the advice of not bleeding the system at all, then it seems we need to "argue" the facts so that the poor bugger doesn't end up with a crapload of air in his cooling system due to following incorrect instructions.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If using the bleeder is the "right way",then why do the workshop manuals say when refilling the radiator, not to use the bleeder screw unless using holdens special tool number AU425?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
If using the bleeder is the "right way",then why do the workshop manuals say when refilling the radiator, not to use the bleeder screw unless using holdens special tool number AU425?

Because as it's already been stated the coke bottle substitutes for the correct tool. The thread is for a VY not a VS, same motor given but go and read a VT-VY manual like the one I have which says to bleed it and it infact mentions to use a bit of hose to create the head. what it then goes on to say is if you don't use the bleed screw you have to take off the top radiator hose from the thermostat and fill the system until water comes out and then quickly re fit the hose so ther eis obviously some need to get rid of any air pockets.