Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt loses power under acceleration, shudders/struggles to pick up speed...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,if its definitely not the coils at all,then look at the fuel system.Fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump.Id get the fuel pressure checked,but first thing,replace the fuel filter.Also there might be water in the fuel tank,it can cause crook running etc.You can throw a cup of metho into a quarter of a tank of fuel.The metho wont hurt anything,and it lets the water mix with the fuel so it can be consumed in the combustion process along with the fuel instead of it just sitting there in the tank and stuffing things up.

Finnrizell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Yeah tha first thing I did was change tha fuel filter but no luck . Anotha bit of helpful info could be I ran out of fuel bout 2 weeks b4 it started appenin. And would u no wher tha fuel regulator is?wars it look like ?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Its at the end of the fuel rail at the rear of the engine.Its about an inch or so round in diameter.Also the fuel return line goes from it back to the fuel tank,it has a vacuum line connected to it as well.Also running out of fuel can stuff up these fuel pumps,they use the fuel to keep cool,and they can overheat when run dry.It might be worth looking into if you dont find anything else wrong.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
plug leads hey. will look into getting new leads this week n see if it still has this shudder problem....i hope its only plug leads..

buy a ten dollar multimeter from jaycar
on ohms check lead resistance and you can check your coil packs resistance
if unsure if this shows you which is shagged post readings on here and we'll tell you if ok

also replace your fuel filter can clog up causing this fault

next would be stalling the car in drive foot on brake (stopped car)
if you get a shudder doing this likely to ba misfire
check
plugs
leads
coils

next I WOULD check for codes stored in engine ecu (need scantool drop in to a holden about 45 bucks i think get a copy of what they find and post it on here
they will probably try to sell you a fix for it if so find out what parts it needs and check if you can fit it yourself)
then fuel filter and pump (this requires a fuel pressure test and comparing to specification)

if none of these check if wiggling the wires under the coil packs (has cover and a little bolt throught it) causes it to miss if it ddoes replace dfi module

tonyrevjet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 2000 Aclaim @ Ve Omega
Hi,mine is doing the same on LPG or Petrol.Funny it starts cold & runs ok,but once warm starts this problem.Once at speed when I put my foot down again its like the front wheels are about to fall off,its that bad.Have replaced,coils,Leeds,plugs,filters,but no joy.Slight burning smell,but can't find any source.Vacuum hoses are intact.....Help.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
I'm having the same issue with my vx v6 auto and I've managed to narrow it down to a problem with the rings in number 2 cylinder. Are any of your plugs fouled when you pull out. Do they all look the same or is one completely different?

3N1GM4

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
I changed my plugs n leads last night and also took the coil packs off and durin the process my drunk mate decided to drop a coil pack on concrete aswell as loosing a screw, i tested out the new plugs n leads when done and found that its splutterin when pushed hard so im guessin the coil pack may now be faulty, right? Does someone know a reliable place to get a new set!

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
Well im back everyone, been absent for a year as i sold my VT and bought another car... now ive gotta VX Acclaim =)

I remember posting this thread and from memory im pretty certain it came down to a faulty fuel pump. I replaced the pump and car was in good form again!

The car wouldnt start at times and i had to hit the tank to get the car to start.. bought a new fuel pump, replaced it and the shudder was gone... pretty sure thats what the outcome of my problem was anyway..

Ktj8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Hi i have a vt series 2 supercharged 1999.it cut out completely at100k and is now completely dead. There was an electrical smell also..any ideas please