Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Series 1 Driveshaft & rear sub into VY Series 2

Ralphski

Ralphski
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VYII 3.8 Executive - MY11 VEII 3.6 Calais VV6
Hey all,

I've just picked up a very low mileage (100K) VT Series 1 complete rear end (inc LSD diff & driveshaft)
It has ABS etc, same as my current VY Series 2 (with 500K on it)

My question for all you gearheads.... Can I put the VT rear & shaft into my VY?

From a visual eyeball it looks as though it will match up with my trans etc

Thanks to all

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are you talking about putting the complete rear subframe from the VT into the VY?

I'm sure it can be done but it's a step backwards. The VY has improved rear suspension geometry as well as the extra toe rods which make the VY rear end better than the VT.

Ralphski

Ralphski
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you talking about putting the complete rear subframe from the VT into the VY?

I'm sure it can be done but it's a step backwards. The VY has improved rear suspension geometry as well as the extra toe rods which make the VY rear end better than the VT.
Thank you,
Yes, I'm thinking about swapping the whole sub (can't just swap the diff & shaft, axels are different)
I'm not overly fussed about a step backwards in rear end handling, after over 500,000 it's just a bit of a hack nowadays
From what my eyes tell me, it looks like it'll fit, as long as the shaft spline matches the box...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thank you,
Yes, I'm thinking about swapping the whole sub (can't just swap the diff & shaft, axels are different)
I'm not overly fussed about a step backwards in rear end handling, after over 500,000 it's just a bit of a hack nowadays
From what my eyes tell me, it looks like it'll fit, as long as the shaft spline matches the box...
Looked at the differences between each diff & tailshafts?

Ralphski

Ralphski
Reaction score
Members Ride
Put the right diff in it, there are plenty around.
If only it was that easy... Not only is the diff shot, but the hub bearings are whining worse than my ex, axle CV's are sloppy. With over 500 thousand K's it's all worn. To fix it all up, a bit at a time, it's going to cost a packet (I'm in NZ, everything is expensive... 91RON is over $3 per liter)
I got the VT S1 for free & it's only done 100K

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well there is no reason it won't fit.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If only it was that easy... Not only is the diff shot, but the hub bearings are whining worse than my ex, axle CV's are sloppy. With over 500 thousand K's it's all worn. To fix it all up, a bit at a time, it's going to cost a packet (I'm in NZ, everything is expensive... 91RON is over $3 per liter)
I got the VT S1 for free & it's only done 100K
I’ll be blunt, it IS that easy.

It’ll be cheaper and easier to do it properly the first time. Remember, there’s a reason Holden changed the design.

For something so common, I wouldn’t reinvent the wheel to take a backwards step.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Go easy mate, if you see where he is getting **** isn't as easy as been in a big city and parts are not cheap if they are available and I couldn't easily get CV axles when I needed them in Auckland last year let alone everything else he will need.

The big down side of the VT rear end is increased tyre wear but mostly if lowered.

Last edited:

Ralphski

Ralphski
Reaction score
Members Ride
Go easy mate, if you see where he is getting **** isn't as easy as been in a big city and parts are not cheap if they are available and I couldn't easily get CV axles when I needed them in Auckland last year let alone everything else he will need.

The big down side of the VT rear end is increased tyre wear but mostly if lowered.
Hehe.... That's one bonus in my favor... It isn't lowered (can't stand them)
I might just park it up, rip the rear out & see what I can swap/keep to make the best out of both...
S1 diff, S1 axels, S1 shaft in a S2 subframe.... who knows
Cheers for the advise though chaps, always appreciated :cool: