Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Stalling under FREEWAY Conditions

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
Perhaps I should return to the mechanic to see if he'd offer me a sympathetic quote for doing another CAS...

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
Is it possible that hardware should be matched -ie, I had the CAS replaced and not long after one of the coil packs failed. The DFI at that time was an eBay OEM item. I refitted original DFI, replaced the coil pack and have had no problems since

- apart from the stalling after about 30min of driving...

D

devilly

lately i have been reading alot :) cas and cas have two different meanings one is crank angle sensor and the other is cam angle sensor <---this one is easy to replace yourself,1 plug and 1 bolt head :) i think it's the one that controls the injector pulse or something along those lines.check to see if it's leaking oil.

could also be the wiring or the connector damaged and needs changing out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Engine won't stall if the Cam sensor fails, it will just default to batch fire (exactly how the older V6 engines ran).

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Is it possible that hardware should be matched -ie, I had the CAS replaced and not long after one of the coil packs failed. The DFI at that time was an eBay OEM item. I refitted original DFI, replaced the coil pack and have had no problems since

- apart from the stalling after about 30min of driving...

Hi
Change dfi & coil packs with a known good set.
It sounds like your original dfi is faulty. Ebay dfi also faulty.
Do you have a friend with a good dfi & coil packs you can borrow for 1/2 an hour to test on your car?
Lex

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
Just to confirm - crank angle sensor
I have a third DFI which came with the coil packs but I am uncertain of its serviceability. The first pack I removed and fitted certainly worked
Is it true to say the the DFI is merely an interface between the ECU and the coils, providing a mounting point and low tension voltage? There doesn't appear to be any 'smarts' on the DFI

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
Thank you for all of your advice so far btw

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No, the DFI has it own electronics and can run the ignition system at a locked amount of timing advance. When you crank the engine the DFI does all the work until a certain RPM is reached and then the PCM takes over the timing control. If the PCM should fail for some reason than the module will continue to run the ignition system. This is what is effectively happening in Limp Home Mode.

So is the problem sorted?

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
DFI and coil packs ex '02 VX fitted. Same problem, engine stalls after 30min of driving - you can almost set your watch to it. Will not restart for approx 5min after stall

I'm thinking crank angle sensor...

D

devilly

have you tried driving with volts displayed ? hold mode and up arrow start car release buttons then you have volts.

dunno i was just thinking along the lines of the same rd traveled a bump that arks out you system.

then alternator needs to cool down before re starting it.