Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt strut towers cracking advise please

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VT/VX will have a single existing hole. Use that as a guide to locating the brackets on the strut towers and then drill new holes to suit the rest. You'll need to drop the struts out to give yourself lots of room to work.

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore executive l67
A 10 yr old forum post isn't usually the best place for your first answer. Find a place that does suspension and bodywork, they can install a brace and carry out repairs at same time. And yes, VT-VX require drilling, later models had the studs to install on.
Cheers mate yeah didn't realise it was a 10 year old post hahah

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or just put some new panel sealant on. Sika 227.
I might clean the old seal crap and add some fresh stuff, I don't the the actual strut tower welds are bad as I checked, thinking the old panel seal is old and dry, guess it happens with a 23 year old car

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT/VX will have a single existing hole. Use that as a guide to locating the brackets on the strut towers and then drill new holes to suit the rest. You'll need to drop the struts out to give yourself lots of room to work.
Cheers mate I'll Sus that out

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I might clean the old seal crap and add some fresh stuff, I don't the the actual strut tower welds are bad as I checked, thinking the old panel seal is old and dry, guess it happens with a 23 year old car
It’s not the welds that are breaking. All you are looking at is panel sealant. It’s been mentioned a few times already in this thread.

That old sealant has become brittle. The sealant to use is what I posted above.

Panel sealant was not Holdens specialty as I found on my ute.

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s not the welds that are breaking. All you are looking at is panel sealant. It’s been mentioned a few times already in this thread.

Yeah I'm not to good and going through old posts, don't hate me for that as I'm not that smart, so what would you recommend, that sika 227? That my best bet?

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride

Sorry my phone's isn't working well, was ment to say I do know the welds are good, and was ment to say I'm.not the best at going through old posts on here