Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 fires, won't run. Codes 48, 63, 92

spechter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive
Try pressing the unlock button on the remote immediately before turning the key to start it.
Red light flashing=immobilizer on.

No joy. I've pushed the remote button so many times now, if it wasn't flat before, it probably is now. Lol.

OK, so the immobilizer is well and truly stuck on then, the only time it's not slow-flashing is for 1-2 seconds between cranking and firing.

I've read a couple of other threads that say to leave ignition On for like, 2 hours, and that should take the immobilizer out of the equation.
Trying that now... Dunno if I should expect to see the red light stop flashing or what... Back in 2 hours I suppose!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You could try disconnecting to battery for a few minutes which might reset the BCM.
If you have the factory radio you will need the PIN when you reconnect the battery.

spechter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive
A few minutes without battery didn't help. Tried that earlier.

But leaving the car after a couple of hours with the ignition on, and guess what - no flashing light above Mode.

And got it to start fairly easily!!!
(Though I think I had to take the key right out and back in again before it did so.) I let it idle for 5 mins and all good. But when I turned it off, and tried to crank again, we are back to the flashing light and no crank.

Anyway, so there is nothing mechanically fundamental stopping it from running.

At least I know how to get it running, so I can get it somewhere.

All this points to the key being rejected it seems.

- There isn't a way to program a new key (eg From Mr Minit) myself, without 1 working old key, right?
Looks like a trip to Holden. This is going to hurt...

Unless, can anyone recommend someone around the Parramatta NSW area that could help me to get a new key or two sorted cheaper than a dealership?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
One option is to buy second hand matching set of a BCM and keyhead and have them linked to your ECU. Or buy a second hand matching keyhead, BCM or ECU.
Or Holden might be able to supply a keyhead with your VIN number.
Your problem might not be the key but the BCM, with both keys not working it is a possibility.
Here is an example of how cheap you can do this.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-...m3b2749d7de:g:TAQAAOSwxLFcNxuk&frcectupt=true
All three items need to be matching, you can't just replace the one.

Last edited:

Nathan H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
maybe go to your local holden dealer for the BCM code then go to mr minit, should work out cheaper
(sorry, i thought it only took 40 mins, luckily you worked out it took 2 hours)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A few minutes without battery didn't help. Tried that earlier.

But leaving the car after a couple of hours with the ignition on, and guess what - no flashing light above Mode.

And got it to start fairly easily!!!
(Though I think I had to take the key right out and back in again before it did so.) I let it idle for 5 mins and all good. But when I turned it off, and tried to crank again, we are back to the flashing light and no crank.

Anyway, so there is nothing mechanically fundamental stopping it from running.

At least I know how to get it running, so I can get it somewhere.

All this points to the key being rejected it seems.

- There isn't a way to program a new key (eg From Mr Minit) myself, without 1 working old key, right?
Looks like a trip to Holden. This is going to hurt...

Unless, can anyone recommend someone around the Parramatta NSW area that could help me to get a new key or two sorted cheaper than a dealership?
You can buy the Map kit and do it yourself, 50.99 at repco.
A9559343.jpg

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The map key will only work if you have a working key to disable the security first or anyone could program a key head and steal your car

spechter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive
Update: Holden servicing reckon the BCM is rooted and quoting $800 + labour to replace. Parts getting rare or something...

They failed (twice) to follow my detailed instructions to get the car started. Ended up having to get a tow home. Battery was dead flat... No wonder it wasn't cranking... Monkeys...

After being home on charge for a while and ignition on for ~2 hours, started fine.

Planning to check the key reader. Then try programming a new key. I wonder if the "2 hour" trick might help to program a new key somehow... Will let you know later!