Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 fires, won't run. Codes 48, 63, 92

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by spechter, Aug 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. spechter

spechter New Member

Members Ride:
    VT V6 Executive
    Actually, there are BCM modules on eBay for as low as $35...

How do I know what I need again? It needs to be paired to the ECU or something doesn't it?

2. accentstencil

accentstencil Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    WH II Caprice, 5.7 2017 Captiva.
    This is why I suggested a secondhand linked BCM, key head and ECU, nowhere near $800.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Active Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    All the 2 hour thing does is disarm the antitheft so you can start it. There is thousands of VT just get the same BCM and fob but make sure the number is the same as your original. Plug and play.

4. spechter

spechter New Member

Members Ride:
    VT V6 Executive
    If by "working" you mean: electronics working and starting the car...
    That's not what the Video for the KF200 indicates:
    http://maparts.com.au/products/suits-holden/kf200/video

The video seems to imply that you just need a blade that will turn the barrel - Not a key with working electronics.
    Locksmiths seem to use some other method - They read a code off the key in their shop, or something, which obviously does require a key with working electronics.

Do you think that MAP video is missing a step? Geeze, there would be a bunch of disgruntled MAP customers if it was...

5. spechter

spechter New Member

Members Ride:
    VT V6 Executive
    It's not quite plug and play - BCM needs to be linked to the ECU with some scan tool magic:
    e.g. : https://www.tat.net.au/scandata/wik...talling_and_Programming_a_replacement_BCM/PCM

My module is a "688 LOW". There are indeed options for this on eBay with a fob, but not with a ready-paired ECU right now.

Can anyone recommend a wallet-friendly Commodore expert in Sydney with a scan tool who might be likely to help me through this?

Otherwise I am about ready to flip into buying-new-car mode. - Might start a new post about that...

6. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Nope as long as your car remote has disarmed the car with the led light not flashing then you can copy up to 3 fobs.

7. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Play I mean pair it up, just replace the battery in your flat fob or even get a 3 volt battery from jaycar and then use it to jump start your fob to disarm your car, you can just snip the tin on the battery in your old fob and press the 2030 button battery on the tin to get your car to disarm then use a map key and reprogram a new fob. Total cost $55.
    If your bcm is rooted then you have to get a second hand one paired but long as the code on each box is a match.

8. spechter

spechter New Member

Members Ride:
    VT V6 Executive
    Does unlocking the car via the wireless remote, actually 'disarm the car'?
    I've never noticed if the light is still flashing when I jump in. I assume that's what you are saying.

OK, actually the KF200 PDF file says this: "It will not program a key fob if the car was locked with the old key fob and then lost or not unlocked, (BCM locked)"

I guess what they mean by "not unlocked" is "not unlocked wirelessly via a key fob".
    - I can "unlock" my car just fine - With the key in the door!

So basically, what that video shows is NEVER going to work if all you started with is the original key with a flat battery.
    How the hell has that not become a major problem with their buying customers already???

P.S. - The 'pairing it up' is the hard part. Reasonable auto-elecs have said to me "We don't do that **** anymore, we send to Holden", so not very wallet-friendly. Still happy to receive recommendations in Sydney area... Near Parramatta to be specific.

9. Sam_100

Sam_100 Member

Members Ride:
    VXII Berlina 3.8L
    Do you have a spare key to see if the problem is still there. Just recently I had the problem where the engine would turn over but would not start. After a few tries it would start. I though there was something wrong with the engine or a module. Pulled the spare key out of the safe and the problem has not reappeared. I have replaced the battery on the key I have been using the last 15 years. I just need to get a replacement shell from Supercheap and test to see if the problem has been resolved.

10. spechter

spechter New Member

Members Ride:
    VT V6 Executive
    As a final wrap-up here, I sold the Commodore to a wrecker for a few hundred... It had a bunch of other issues (mainly fluid leaks... Every fluid possible...), and I couldn't be arsed flogging a nearly-dead horse any further and I needed a car to get around.

Sorry for not achieving a happier ending!

BTW - For anyone reading later, even though my keys failed to disarm the immobiliser remotely, or in the ignition, this process below worked 100% reliably to start the car several times:
    * Lock the car via turning key in door
    * Wait 5 seconds
    * Unlock car via turning key in door
    (The above lock-unlock sequence seemed to achieve some sort of reset with the BCM perhaps?, but I am not 100% sure if/when it's necessary)
    * Jump in.
    * Put key in ignition barrel
    * Turn to ignition ONLY - All the dash lights come on of course. DO NOT crank it.
    * In my case the red light above 'Mode' keeps flashing... (This was the root problem - Immobilizer stuck on. Caused by sick BCM??? Busted keys? Key reader? Something else?)
    * Wait 1.5-2 hours. Probably put a batter charger/maintainer on...
    * Observe that the red light has stopped flashing - Immobilizer disarmed
    * Turn key from ignition to crank

* It started for me every time (Thanks for tips earlier in thread), and would be all good as long as I left it running.

Turning the engine off would mean starting back at step 1. - Very impractical for daily use...

Thanks again everyone.

11. Trevor loves holden.

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Could of just replaced the battery in the fob with a 2032 3v battery. Now u will never know.