Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 rear end whine

voney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8
Hey Guys,

I've had my VT Calais (v6 Auto) about 8 months now and the whole time it has had an annoying whine in the rear end. I've done a bit of reading and am relatively sure it's the diff, but wanted some input to make sure.

The whine sounds like a manual gearbox in reverse and gets higher pitched as I go faster. It does not change with the gear or the revs and it does not change with throttle/braking/coasting at least not noticeably. The only thing that changes it is the speed. As far as volume is concerned it competes with the engine on noise, the engine wins when it's revving but otherwise the whine wins.

I have changed my tyres recently and that made no difference, I also drained and refreshed my diff oil the other day to no avail.

Does anyone know what else I can do to nail down exactly what it is? I don't want to go spend a pile on getting a new diff if it's something else or can be fixed easily.

Cheers,

Voney

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
If unsure take it to someone that can hear it for themselves. To me i sounds like the diff, but I would love to hear it to be sure.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
good bye diff. try changing the diff oil. It may have had a hard life.
EDIT: I'd say your actual diff gears are nacked. Hypoid gears (those used in a diff), if they are stretched or have chips in them, will take in air as they rotate, making the noise of a straight cut gear (trans reverse)

voney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8
Yep, turned out to be the diff.

I ended up getting a VY lsd supplied and fitted from pick n payless for 500

Quiet as a baby now :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2