Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vu vu vu noise, stealer don’t know

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Hi everyone

My car have been making this annoy “vu vu vu” noise for a while, only does it in motion, noticeable from 40km/h on wards, most noticeable on smooth roads at around 60km/h.

The frequency increases with speed, at 80+km/h it becomes more like a constant humming/rubing sound and is less noticeable at 100km/h or higher due to wind & general road noise, also not noticeable on very coarse roads like rural highways due to road noise.

Does not make the noise at stationary if I rev out the engine in Neutral or Park and changing gears manually while it’s making the noise doesn’t effect the sound, only seem to be dependent on speed, so that hopefully rules out engine & transmission, and the car seem to drive fine with no noticeable “quirks” and from the drivers seat it sounds like it’s coming from the back.

I first noticed it while driving back to my motel on a road trip down south in WA on some smooth 60km/h road after returning back to town, before that I have been driving on unsealed roads all day visiting national parks, not sure if this was related or somehow caused the issue to appear (although I have driving on similar unsealed roads before all the time & never had an issue).

1st time I took it to the stealer for its scheduled service (90k km) and asked them to check it out, they said that the rear tires were close to worn and to change that 1st before more investigation could be done.

Did that with the same tyres I had before (Falken FK 510s) and made no difference... took it back a 2nd time on Thursday and after a day they basically just called and said they could hear/replicate the noise (well duh...) and they checked the tyres, wheels and suspension and can’t find anything and if I want to proceed further it “may cost over $800 just for diagnostic and they may still not find anything” and that they don’t have time to go further and I would have to rebook it in for (end of) next month... what a joke.

Anyway drove back (with noise in tact) and decided to visit a local shop near my house (who had all 5 star reviews according to google) and the guy there said could be wheel bearing(s) and/or tyres and I got it booked in for them to look at on Friday the 5th of Feb.

Until then I wanna ask what other potential parts could be making this noise? I did thought about wheel bearing but from the YouTube videos I have seen, the noise sounded different.

The car is at 88k kms, serviced every 9 month/15k kms as per log book, except I shortened the interval for the transmission and had that serviced at around 76k (rear diff at 85k).

Thanks

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If it seems to be entirely road-speed dependent, I reckon you've already covered the most likely causes.

Really the only stuff left for it to potentially be are tailshaft bearings & diff, but IMHO they're considerably less likely that tyre(s) or wheel-bearing(s).
If it weren't an SSVR I'd suggest you swap wheels+tyres front-for-rear and see if the sound moves ...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Maybe, but it didn’t make this noise before with the same tyres (before worn out)...
The problem is that your choice of tyres are maybe directional , i'm not really sure , but if they are and they get rotated then there pointing the wrong way causing road noise .
I thought i had a bad wheel bearing and it wasn't until i got different new tyre's i.e. non directional the noise went away
Edit: Its always possible someone put one on backwards

Last edited:

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
This might sound stupid but have you checked the backing plates on the brakes i had a weird noise coming from the rear of a 4 wheel disc brake sigma a lot of years back turned out a small stone had lodged in between the backing plate and the disc.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
Took it to the local shop & they reckon it’s the wheel bearing, quoted around $350ish to change.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
This might sound stupid but have you checked the backing plates on the brakes i had a weird noise coming from the rear of a 4 wheel disc brake sigma a lot of years back turned out a small stone had lodged in between the backing plate and the disc.

Brakes got overhauled about 1000km ago (new front rotors & pads + machines rear rotors & new pads) & everything appeared to be fine.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
An easy way to check if it's wheel bearing noise is to drive the car along a straight bit of road and then around a series of bends. If the noise is there on the straight but goes when negotiating a bend, it's most likely the wheel bearing. Noise disappearing on a left-hand bend = right-hand bearing faulty, and vice versa.

I may be a bit out of touch with prices but $350 to replace a wheel bearing seems a bit high.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
An easy way to check if it's wheel bearing noise is to drive the car along a straight bit of road and then around a series of bends. If the noise is there on the straight but goes when negotiating a bend, it's most likely the wheel bearing. Noise disappearing on a left-hand bend = right-hand bearing faulty, and vice versa.

I may be a bit out of touch with prices but $350 to replace a wheel bearing seems a bit high.

An easier way to check wheel bearings is, jack the car up, spin the wheel and listen around the centre of the wheel for a whirring noise..... :)