Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX - Dreaded Serv Error -_-

Antonius2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX, 2001 sedan, 3.8L
Hey there peoples! I was reading through a few threads and realized what a helpful bunch of people were all collected here, so I made an account in the hopes of finding help to fix my VX's issue(s) relating to a "Serv error" problem.

A couple of months ago my 2002 Holden Commodore VX started randomly stalling at low revs (Traffic lights, stop signs) basically idling for a about 10 seconds and then stall. It didn't happen all the time and it only started to occur AFTER I bought some fuel at my local service station.

Another anomaly was that at high speeds the engine would suddenly drop revs, it would tend to go from around 1,500 - 2,000RPM down to below 500, basically a cough, as I had my foot down and it wouldn't stall like it did at low revs whilst idling. I could keep it from stalling by revving the engine above 1,500 whilst idle, that always worked, until... One day however I went to start it and lo and behold, the dreaded "Serv error" message appeared and the computer wouldn't let me ignite the motor. My first thought was the fuel pump as that logically appeared to be the cause but that wasn't the case as my father and I replaced it and the error message still persists. Any idea of what it could be? I really don't want to have the car towed and then checked over by our local mechanic seeing as he couldn't identify the issue my sister's car had (dying coil pack), and the fact that I don't have a job at the moment so I don't think I could afford a check over... Whatever the problem is it was for the most part temporary, until it which it got to the "serv error" point.

There were/are a few other problems that I noticed with the VX that could be the problem(s) causing this error.

The Traction control and ABS lights on the dash would malfunction, they would stay on all the time the TC wouldn't even turn on, I remember that fixing this was easy enough by just restarting the car... But then it would occur again the next time I'd fire the car up. I have read up on it and it appears as though this could be one or two faulty speed sensors.

The second issue is the key hole, sometimes when I put the keys in it is near impossible to turn them, I have read on this causing some errors for people as the barrel becomes fucked through use.

Another issue occurred all throughout the Winter, if I went to try and start the car it would have difficulty doing so and sometimes wouldn't start. But as the temp started to rise when Spring came this stopped happening.

Any help would be great, thanks! :D

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i should make a list of the posts with serv error
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ies2-instrument-warning-lamps-problem.226806/
this is an extreme case but has some handy diagnostics
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...1-auto-v6-all-warning-lights-flashing.242876/
from your case i would unplug the wiring connector to the abs module
this is a large aluminium block in engine bay above right front wheel arch
it is safe to drive like this but traction control and abs will not function
normal brakes will function correctly

Last edited:

Antonius2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just did this and although it didn't fix the "serv error" issue, it did however make the speedometer twitch upwards to 10km/h... Weird.

Antonius2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just went to try out the car to see if anything had change by just sitting in the garage today and it had!!! Instead of getting the "serv error" message and jingle straight away I got the car making bizzare sounds from the engine bay, it sounded like many electronic components trying to start themselves. After about 10 - 15 seconds of this strange behavior the car reverted to it's "Serv error" routine again... So there's something definitely electrical causing me grief here. My guess is a loose or damaged wire/cable somewhere... What's the best way to check that out?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
what voltage on your battery and if it starts what voltage when running

Antonius2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
what voltage on your battery and if it starts what voltage when running

Not sure about voltage, and I can't say when running because the car won't run. XD

Oh, but I did notice something else... The other day you suggested to disconnect the ABS module to see if that would clear the error, it didn't but without the ABS module connected none of the relays click.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Check out the item below from common VT/VX problems:

Instrument warning lamps (ABS) - The ABS module consists of 2 main parts. A hydraulic unit and an electrical unit. The most common failure seen with the module is when the ABS Electronic module fails. This often results in a myriad of dash lights being illuminated, not just the ABS light. When the ABS Electronic module fails, it can also interrupt scanning procedures for the ABS, BCM (Body Control Module) and PCM (Powertrain Control Module).

Another cause can be water entry into the engine harness connection area, under the bonnet, against the right strut tower. Apparently, water gets onto and through the "horse-shoe" shaped plastic wiring support, which eventually tracks down to the ABS connector, causing all sorts of warning lamp issues. Foam fillers and sealants are used to help reduce the amount of water that can get through to these areas.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
The "serv error" nearly always relates to the key not making proper contact with the ignition ring

give them a clean and make sure it connects properly

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
have you tried the display diagnostics yet as one of the things it shows is battery voltage

Trip computer diagnostic codes
Hold mode and up arrow then turn key to on or start
Release buttons
then
Press Mode = Dash Part Number - e.g. 1731
Press Mode = Mode Switch Voltage - e.g. BV - - - 5.0
Press Mode = Battery Voltage - e.g. V 11.8
Press Mode = Petrol Sender Voltage - e.g. FUEL 02.6
Press Mode = LPG Sender Voltage - e.g. VL 5.0
Press Mode = Remaining Fuel - e.g. 38L
Press Mode = Instantaneous Fuel (Liters per Hour) - e.g. 12.8 L/H
Press Mode = Engine Coolant Temp - e.g. 63 C
Press Mode = Vehicle Speed - e.g. 45 KM/H
Press Mode = Tachometer - e.g. 2380
Press Mode = Park Lamps Switch - e.g. P OFF
Press Mode = Dash Trouble Codes - e.g. t 00 (Press up/down to scroll through any codes, these are not PCM, ABS, etc codes)
Press Mode = Dash Test - All gauges will move, lights will come on and buzzer will sound.
Turn key off will revert to normal dash

Dash trouble codes
Format is t then code number then history then current some have nu which I cant remember but believe was not used
Eg
t00-- is fuel gauge sender open circuit no history and no current faults
t16h- is abs history codes but no current fault

00 Fuel gauge sender unit — open circuit
01 Fuel gauge sender unit — short circuit
02 Fuel gauge sender unit — intermittent
03 Fuel gauge sender unit — open circuit
04 LPG gauge sender unit — open circuit
05 LPG gauge sender unit — short circuit
06 LPG gauge sender unit — intermittent
08 No serial data from ABS
09 No serial data from BCM
10 No serial data from ECC
11 No serial data from PCM
12 No serial data from SDM
13 No instrument poll from BCM
14 No serial communication
15 No Sub-clock
16 ABS or ABS/ETC fault logged
17 BCM fault logged
18 ECC fault logged
19 PCM fault logged
20 SDM fault logged
21 Trip switch short circuit
22 Trip switch button stuck
24 EE checksum error
25 ROM checksum error
26 Internal fault

Antonius2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
have you tried the display diagnostics yet as one of the things it shows is battery voltage

I just went and tried this out, nice little aspect about the car I didn't know of til now.

I wrote down the results and have the following...

Dash Part Number - 6563
Mode Switch Voltage - 5.0
Battery Voltage - V 11.6
LPG Sender Voltage - VL 5.0
Remaining Fuel - 20L
Instantaneous Fuel - 0.0 L/H
Engine Coolant Temp - -40oC
Vehicle Speed - 0KM/H
Tachometer - 8
Park Lamps Switch - e.g. P OFF
Press Mode = Dash Trouble Codes - e.g. t 00

00 Fuel gauge sender unit — open circuit --
01 Fuel gauge sender unit — short circuit --
02 Fuel gauge sender unit — intermittent --
03 Fuel gauge sender unit — open circuit - NU
04 LPG gauge sender unit — open circuit - NU
05 LPG gauge sender unit — short circuit - NU
06 LPG gauge sender unit — intermittent - NU
08 No serial data from ABS- HC
09 No serial data from BCM - HC
10 No serial data from ECC - HC
11 No serial data from PCM - NU
12 No serial data from SDM - HC
13 No instrument poll from BCM - HC
14 No serial communication - HC
15 No Sub-clock --
16 ABS or ABS/ETC fault logged - H-
17 BCM fault logged --
18 ECC fault logged --
19 PCM fault logged --
20 SDM fault logged --
21 Trip switch short circuit - NU
22 Trip switch button stuck - NU
24 EE checksum error --
25 ROM checksum error --
26 Internal fault[/QUOTE] --

Press Mode = Dash Test - All lights came on except for the ABS and Low Traction.