Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] VX manual conversion 5 speed steps/guides??? anyone got anything?

andrews0604

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 01" V6
Im kinda new to this forum so excuse me if this is in the wrong section or something,
i have bought a complete vx 5 speed conversion kit for my calais, and plan to do it myself,
was hopeing someone would have some information or steps on how to do this. As i have an idea but would like to be 100% before i start changing things.

if any one has anything would be great, cheers

RvtRvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Lumina 3.8
Are you a mechanic..? Because if your not you will need one. This isn't the kind of thing that you want to DIY unless you know what your doing

andrews0604

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 01" V6
not mechanic, but i am aircraft engineer for qantas, so I'm sure I'm capable of doing this as its very similar to my job. i was just looking for steps.. as i would like to have it in front of me to make sure everything goes smooth, i have a fair idea on how to do it now just a few little things i may not no thats all.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
You dont need to be a mechanic to do it, just mechanically minded and able to use tools. lol, i think there might be a conversion guide on the forum somewhere, if you use the search bar im sure you can find what your after, if not google is always good aswell. hope all goes well mate.

andrews0604

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 01" V6
I've looked all over this site i think mate lol and i can only find guides for cars like vLs and stuff. nothing on a vx. I've looked all over the net google, forums, everything. almost considering paying someone to get me steps haha.
if you were to come across it mate please feel free to forward it to me.cheers mate

FusionX

Reaction score
Best thing would be to buy a Gregory's/Haynes car manual. That should have all the information you need to do this. Like this: Holden Commodore 1997-06 Haynes Part No. 41743

While it's not a step to step guide on how to do a conversion, you just have to piece it together from different sections of the manual. Only thing you may need to get advice on is the wiring side of things. But if you can read wiring diagrams it should be easy enough to work out.

andrews0604

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 01" V6
thanks mate il have a look into that.
il have no problem taken all the auto stuff out.
its the manuel side i want more info on. so hopefully that book will show repairs or replacing parts like clutch and flywheel etc.

vxblowncalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais supercharged vt 11 SS.
I have done this. you are best to have a complete car, you will suprised how much stuff you will need.

vxblowncalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais supercharged vt 11 SS.
You will need the wiring harness from a manual, a ecu from a manual, a clutch pedal, if cruise control the switch for the clutch and wires, master cylinder, starter motor and bolts, flywheel and clutch plates etc. The bolts for the flywheel are also longer, the plate for the hole in the floor that is left from the auto shifter, the boot for the dhifter, the gear shift and linkages. Maybe more bits but there is a lot.