Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx super6 lifter noise and oil light on start up

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
The first thing I would be doing is putting a oil pressure gauge on it and looking at what the oil pressure is at idle then at higher RPM.

Sounds like the oil pressure is very low

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Nah it's not one when u first turn ignition on its as soon as the engine actually turns over, I was thinking it's sorafter.normal for some noise but also its worse with heavier oil was actually quieter with 5-40.. With the injectors I just got Remanufactured ones from mace but I did a pump a while back I'm thinking the people gave me a standard pump, supercharged runs a higher pressure I think. Okay that sounds like a good idea turtl3 I'll do that when I change the oil again, also am doing a flex plate atm due to a crack Aswell as torque converter and shift solenoids haha

Sounds normal to me regarding the oil light. It will stay on with just the ignition on but once you turn the motor over and it runs it will go off shortly after.

It's when there is no light or the light stays on after you need to worry.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Keep in mind that a thinner oil will drain back more quickly than a thicker oil. I put 15w40 in mine once and it was extremely noisy. 20w50 is still one of the recommended weights in the manual.

It might be worth replacing the sender if you haven't already. In any case, oil weights shouldn't really make a difference in one of these engines. They'll run fine on cooking oil lol

Brad_BlackL67Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden 3.8 supercharged vx Calais
Actually I don't know why I didn't think of that haha very smart idea :) thanks then at least I can see if there is a problem and I will change the sender Aswell. I'm going to go thinner because it's just been rebuilt 10000 ago and I couldn't hear the lifters with 5-40 in so I'm going to go 10-40.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
At 10000 its definately worn in now, all the clearances should be good. Its perfectly normal for the oil light to be on with ignition, but i should dissappear within 2 seconds of the engine being started and running. It isnt mandatory to replace sensors with a rebuild. Because 1-sometimes the customer doesnt send them in for testing or replacing, 2-they can be very pricey to replace 'for the hell of it' 3-sometimes they test fine on the bench, but they can fail a short time later when back in service.

In ur case i would get a new pressure sensor, stick to 10w40 and keep an eye on it

Brad_BlackL67Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden 3.8 supercharged vx Calais
I've said it goes off after ignition is on for a second I am a mechanic lol I just haven't got experience with rebuilt engines not even a year since being qualified so yeah haha and I know it could be the oil pump even though I know he put a new one in I've heard a lot of bad things about he place I had it done at but after I had it done which sucks... The oil light comes on while actually starting the engine and the lifter noise.. I did have to do valve springs and pushrods cuz they didn't put new ones in broke a valve spring 2 weeks after I got it back n bent the original pushrod on that valve got hardened custom ones and crow springs now they where a cm lower than new ones very worn out in new engine not happy about that so it may just be that lifter.. Hopefully the 10-40 will be better anyways
I will definitely be changing the sensor maybe they just have a lot of air in them from changing the spring because I pressurised the cylinders with air, may have just answered my own post lol