Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX v6 n/a ecotec tick - I need help lads!

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
A knock indicates excessive clearance between a bearing and its journal, or a loose piston, which sounds different.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
I had a noise like that on an old VN I had, turned out to be the Crank Angle Sensor hitting on the balancer. Found it when it finally destroyed the sensor.

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
Thanks for all the replies. I took off the belt and recorded the engine starting up, idling, and with some revs.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From my experience a chain rattle noise reduces under load as it tensions up.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Tick Tock sounds more like a BIG CACTUS ROTATING Knocking of metal parts. Also you have a major exhaust manifold leak, a misfire and an air filter/inlet manifold issue and that’s before anyone knows what it actually drives like and what the noise/damage issue is.

It’s a major cost to fix noises coming from crank/bearings and camshaft/bearings/roller lifters. If you’re lucky it could just be a seized twisted roller/lifter or just a broken/worn cam lobe which would sound like your noise.

Firstly do a compression test just that you know about condition of piston and rings and check the oil pressure. With these 2 things in hand, if you decide to get engine fixed at least you know whether its worth getting it done or time to get another 2nd hand engine as the cost will probably be more than the car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tick Tock sounds more like a BIG CACTUS ROTATING Knocking of metal parts. Also you have a major exhaust manifold leak, a misfire and an air filter/inlet manifold issue and that’s before anyone knows what it actually drives like and what the noise/damage issue is.

It’s a major cost to fix noises coming from crank/bearings and camshaft/bearings/roller lifters. If you’re lucky it could just be a seized twisted roller/lifter or just a broken/worn cam lobe which would sound like your noise.

Firstly do a compression test just that you know about condition of piston and rings and check the oil pressure. With these 2 things in hand, if you decide to get engine fixed at least you know whether its worth getting it done or time to get another 2nd hand engine as the cost will probably be more than the car.

Oh dear, with all those problems, I'm surprised the car is running.

Compression test helps determine oil pressure as well if done properly...

Issue...Does sound like top end, ala lifter/s...

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I'm thinking oil pump, low oil pressure but that's my opinion, defiantly closer the balancer where the noise gets loader. See how much flex in the balancer maybe its hitting the CAS as was mentioned. It could be a lifter stuck too, those will be the first things to rule out. Timing chains are usually pretty good on these engines.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
If there is some way you can attach a piece of plastic tubing to your phone(?) microphone and use it like a stethoscope to more accurately pin point the source that may sort it out for you. Sure sounds like something around the balancer. A gudgeon or a stuck lifter has a higher pitched rattle from my experience, a big end would be louder as you moved to one side or the other of the engine rather than being louder at the front.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Compression test helps determine oil pressure as well if done properly
Lol, oil pressure is done from the oil sensor, cylinder testing only tells you if you have blow back from warn rings it wont diagnose a failed oil pump or blocked oil filter or proper pressure.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Remove all your plugs and have someone crank the engine put your thumb over the plug hole if it pushers away that's the exhaust stroke if it sucks your thumb then that's the compression stroke if it does nothing you have a broken con rod..

Sorry I have it back to front my bad, air out is compression side..

Last edited: