Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Berlina Wagon FE2 with LPG donut tank - cost to change to standard suspension?

G_E_M_I_N_I

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I've a series 1 Berlina wagon. I installed injected LPG setup about 20k ago. I know FE2 is loved but I don't like the sports suspension firmness/lowered height. LPG installer said no need to change FE2 rear springs to Holden LPG springs etc. as FE2 is more firmer & it would be ok.

What's the cost of doing complete changeover to standard suspension? Car's very well looked after & runs great. It has 220k on the clock.

Please recommend a suitable setup considering it's a LPG cylinder in spare wheel well. I like softer ride i.e. statesman like. I know Holden had a special LPG upgrade suspension kit for duel fuel cars.

Also, being a 2003 VY build, did Holden got rid of the rear suspension inner tyre wear issue?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Hey mate, I have a VX Berlina wagon with the same LPG setup as you and FE2 Springs and shocks.

I changed mine to stock springs when I was towing a heavy load, it didn't cost too much for a suspension shop to supply and fit. I did get airbag helpers as well so not sure on the exact price but I think it was around the $200 - $300 mark.

One thing I will say is it made a massive difference in the handling. As in without anything in the back of the wagon it felt like it was going to tip over around corners... It was a bit more comfortable though, not heaps, but enough to notice a difference.

It's up to you what to do but in my opinion the slight increase in firmness with the FE2 is a MUCH better proposition then stock springs.

And I think the tyre wear issue was solved in VX2. Mine is pretty good with wide rims and low springs, and lots of weight in the back.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I have lows in my statesman (same as fe2) and they're fine. Don't even notice the difference tbh. It's only an extra 60-70kg in the back with a full tank at the most anyway which is no big deal at all.

Although, filling with gas, petrol and packing the boot to go away brings the rear much closer to the ground. Usually I only have 1/4 of a tank of petrol anyway - no point carrying the extra weight around.

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
I have a VX Berlina Wagon which has had 3 different sets of springs in it: Stock > Pedders Super Lows > FE2.

My opinion would be to leave the existing springs in there unless they have noticeably sagged, there is a height and firmness difference between stock and FE2 but its not massive. If the weight when loaded up is making the rear drop too much then look at fitting some pump up airbags inside the springs.

At 220K's on the clock some of the harshness might be due to worn shocks. If they are the originals I can safely say they are toasted and due for replacement. This would likely improve the ride.

RE Tyre Wear: I experienced a fair bit of outside wear front and rear with the pedders springs installed. With the FE2 all the tyres have worn perfectly, and I don't have a camber kit installed and the wagon is a series 1 (before the update).

G_E_M_I_N_I

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Thanks guys. I changed rubber to Yokohama AE50 215-60-R16. I think the wheel is too big. I'll take it back to the tyre shop for an opinion but what do you guys reckon should be the tyres with FE2 suspension on a berlina wagon VY?