Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] VY Ecotec Turbo Build!

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Hey Guys,

I've gathered/ordered most of the parts to get my low comp Ecotec rebuild started!
It's home will eventually be my current daily VY Berlina which is intercooled and supercharged:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-vz-wk-wl-v2/138907-vy-v6-berlina-project.html

The plan is to finish the rebuild, get all the turbo equipment and then swap out with the current gear i have in my car. (Standard engine and Intercooled raptor supercharger). Hopefully i can find a suitable car and use this engine/charger setup as a daily driver.

Mate owns a wrecking yard in the northern suburbs so I scored a complete ecotec engine for next to nothing. So far, below is a list of what i have bought for the build and what i still need to buy. Should hopefully have the spare engine on a stand and stripped in the next week or so. Then itl be off to the machine shop! Also, once the old engine is out, the whole car is getting resprayed in jet black :)

Parts that i have bought so far:
- Microtech LT10s with loom to suit and basic turbo tune
- L67 Diamond Forged and Moly coated pistons, (8.0:1 comp, .020" oversized)
- L32 Hot Forged connecting rods
- ARP Head stud kit
- ARP Main stud kit
- ARP Connecting rod bolts to suit L32 rods
- Rollmaster double row timing chain
- 80lb Siemens Deka injectors
- 3800 oil pressure kit
- Cometic head gaskets
- Aluminium inlet manifold gasket
- Rear main seal
- Front main seal
- Front timing cover gasket
- Rear engine cover gasket
- Water pump gasket
- Bosch external 044 pumps and surge tank

Parts I'm still in the process of buying/sourcing:
- Larger/performance oil pan
- Harmonic balancer
- Roller rockers
- Hydraulic lifters
- New oil pump
- Cam bearings
- Main bearings
- Conrod bearings
- Cam
- Valve springs
- Valve Stem Seals
- Locks & retainers

Please let me know of any parts i might have left out as im having a mind blank at the moment.. I like to know i have all the parts before i start the build so i dont go running around/waiting for parts etc later on. Although, i'm sure theres gonna be plenty i still forget about..

Also, im stuck on which company and what cam to go for to suit a turbo and compression of 8.0:1. I know there are many threads about ecotec's and cams, however i cant really find a decent thread about a "Turbo" cam for an Ecotec. Any thoughts?

Hopefully ill be taking pics during all stages of the build :)

Last edited:

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
Why don't you keep the berlina as the daily and buy another car to work on as the project? A lighter shell (anything from VB-VS) would be better if you want to get serious at the drags.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Why don't you keep the berlina as the daily and buy another car to work on as the project? A lighter shell (anything from VB-VS) would be better if you want to get serious at the drags.

Yer i thought of that, but i love the VY shape, also im not really gonna end up at the drags often.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Looks like you're buying all the right bits. I know of people running up to 400rwkw on turbo V8's using a single bosch 044, and why did you go for an aftermarket computer? The stock one would be fine.

Thanks mate, yer i think i got misinformed about the fuel pumps by a certain somebody. Either way i got them for cheap so ill probably end up selling one off if it isnt needed.
(Also, i bought the 80lb Siemen Deka's as it was the same price as the 60lbs..)

As for the aftermarket computer. I came across it whilst going through ebay. The LT10s was brand new, came with a loom to suit the ecotec, wiring diagram and a basic turbo tune to suit the 3.8Ltr (And i got it for a steal!).
The guy im going to get to tune the car is a whizz with Microtech so there pretty much the reason's.

Gus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Acclaim
this car will be crazy!
so much money being thrown into it haha, can't wait to see the finished result (..if there'll ever be one?)

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Thanks mate, yer i think i got misinformed about the fuel pumps by a certain somebody. Either way i got them for cheap so ill probably end up selling one off if it isnt needed.
(Also, i bought the 80lb Siemen Deka's as it was the same price as the 60lbs..)

As for the aftermarket computer. I came across it whilst going through ebay. The LT10s was brand new, came with a loom to suit the ecotec, wiring diagram and a basic turbo tune to suit the 3.8Ltr (And i got it for a steal!).
The guy im going to get to tune the car is a whizz with Microtech so there pretty much the reason's.

Fair enough, this sounds like it'll be an interesting build - I will be following your progress for sure.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Got some of the goodies!

IMG_1155.jpgIMG_1163.jpgIMG_1160.jpgIMG_1167.jpeg.jpg