Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

Hissey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute M6
In regards to the serial of the cluster matching the VIN, Are you referring to the serial number that comes up when you are in diagnostic mode?
As I tried it on my VYII SS ute and it didn't match, I brought the car when it was only 2 years old, so I guess there is the possibility that it was changed in the first 2 years.
But then I tried it on my mates VZII Maloo which he has owned since new, and that didn't match either.
Unless HSV change out the dash when they get it at their factory.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
In regards to the serial of the cluster matching the VIN, Are you referring to the serial number that comes up when you are in diagnostic mode?
As I tried it on my VYII SS ute and it didn't match, I brought the car when it was only 2 years old, so I guess there is the possibility that it was changed in the first 2 years.
But then I tried it on my mates VZII Maloo which he has owned since new, and that didn't match either.
Unless HSV change out the dash when they get it at their factory.
I can Guarantee you that the VY cluster Serial number in the cluster should definately match the last 6 digits of a cars vin. Mine does and so have many of the VY clusters I have worked on.

I do have to admit, I have found that there have been alot of VZ clusters serial numbers that dont match. I have 3 VZ clusters here that didnt match there vehicles number, although the mismatching parameters of the clusters does support there not from those vehicles originally.

I have found that some do, although I am unsure whether this is because someone has changed the values, Or if Holden had a mid life crisis and started throwing clusters into any car without caring. I know that the clusters I work on, I match the serial number of the car to the cluster, always have.

I first thought maybe holden made some sort of algorithm for identifying the vehicle for VZ's and a scantool will decipher it, but these results are not reflected by scantools such as the tech2 which displayed the same number.

I did start taking values down a while back to see if there was a method to the madness.. although have seem to missed placed that damn excel sheet.

But either way, I can confidently say that more then probably 60.. even 70% of the vehicles Iv worked on dont have their originally cluster. They have been upgraded to 3lcd clusters or have had led converted clusters put in from ebay that haven't been programmed to suit their car.

To clear up the vz serial number mystery, would need willing people to post up there last 6 digits of their vin and serial number in there cluster, and also whether they have any idea if the cluster is the original or not. Could be a simple correlation.. could be a complex algorithm.. dont know till some numbers that are relatively close are analysed.
Same concept goes for the VY/VZ radios and their PINS. The serial number on the top can be used to decipher the radio pin, although its impossible to work out without a whole heap of help from a community.

Well enough of my random ranting.. If anyones got any questions let me know. Rather be safe then sorry when buying a second hand cluster from fleabay.

troopyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ CREWMAN ALLOYTEC V6
any update on software? id like to change my cluster and match the Odo to each other.

also id like to know if there is any other radio H/U uses ALDL to TX to the dash LCD.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Hi all, long time reader first time poster. Found this thread very helpful thus far but i'm still having dramas.

Managed to score myself a VY HSV cluster for a good price with near on matching km's. Installed it and I have the dreaded backwards fuel gauge.
Checked my ohms reading in the cluster via engineering mode and with a full tank i'm seeing around 45ohms, which according to the thread means i have a series 2 fuel sender. (Which is good because my car is an 03 Series 2 VY.)
No biggy i thought, the cluster must be a series 1 unit. Throw it on the tech2 and upload a series 2 fuel gauge calibration which makes no difference. Try every fuel gauge setting there is to try and still it makes no difference. (Apparently the card in the tech2 unit was only good for VY2 and later calibrations)

Can the OP give me some advice on where to go from here. I figure if i have a series 2 resistance reading, a series 2 gauge calibration should work but it's not.
Perhaps try a series 1 sender unit and see if that makes a difference?

Cheers,
Brendan.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi all, long time reader first time poster. Found this thread very helpful thus far but i'm still having dramas.

Managed to score myself a VY HSV cluster for a good price with near on matching km's. Installed it and I have the dreaded backwards fuel gauge.
Checked my ohms reading in the cluster via engineering mode and with a full tank i'm seeing around 45ohms, which according to the thread means i have a series 2 fuel sender. (Which is good because my car is an 03 Series 2 VY.)
No biggy i thought, the cluster must be a series 1 unit. Throw it on the tech2 and upload a series 2 fuel gauge calibration which makes no difference. Try every fuel gauge setting there is to try and still it makes no difference. (Apparently the card in the tech2 unit was only good for VY2 and later calibrations)

Can the OP give me some advice on where to go from here. I figure if i have a series 2 resistance reading, a series 2 gauge calibration should work but it's not.
Perhaps try a series 1 sender unit and see if that makes a difference?

Cheers,
Brendan.
Only way around this issue is to either:
a) use special equipment to manually edit the fuel settings on the eeprom
b) Swap out your fuel sender for a series 1 fuel sender so that it matches the clusters configuration
and c) Use my software to swap the fuel series over.. although as Iv said previously in other posts, the fuel series swap is not always accepted in all clusters, about 8/10 clusters accept the change and the other 2/10 do not work and the fuel gauge remains stuck in the middle or goes haywire!

The tech2 cant be used to change the fuel series. There is simply no option to edit this and change it! It configures according to the clusters fuel settings and cal number so doesnt matter what tech2 firmware or card software version you have as itll all do the same.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Have you released the software yet ?
*Sigh* Nope as much as I want to get it out there, still finishing off the website. Software is complete but still need to sort out the site for everything to fit together.:beer chug:

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Last edited:

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
*Sigh* Nope as much as I want to get it out there, still finishing off the website. Software is complete but still need to sort out the site for everything to fit together.:beer chug:
Just use paypal to take payment and start selling it via PM. How much you looking to charge?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So you gonna strap a supercharger to the project to hurry it along or what? lol. will it work with any usb aldl cable?

Also, how do i tell if my cable is just OBD2 or if its ALDL cable?
VR VS VT VX VY Aldl Diagnostic Interface Cable Airbag Commodore Scan Tool USB | eBay
This is the one i bought from memory. I know it says ALDL but just thought that id check because people will say anything to sell an item
Haha, Im a one man arm at the moment so it takes a long time to do everything unfortunately!

Just for an idea of what is currently involved in all of this, at the moment Im trying to be: a car reverse engineer, programmer, site designer, site optimizer, app/site security maintenance and tester, SEO, Icon designing, marketing, paypal integration with site, automatic updates setup, ect ect.

Let alone trying to help out on various forums with anything related to car communication, and trying to answer back to all the private messages and emails requesting help or information! As well as day to day work on top of all that! Haha.

To be honest its something that I would need about 5-6 people working on to be done quickly and efficiently. Since I have to learn all of the above, test it all, retest it all, and then reretest it all to make sure everything works correctly!

Sorry about the delays everyone, Ill let everyone know when its available.

*Edit
The software will work with any ALDL cables. BUT I cant guarantee that any cables that aren't bought from myself or recommended sellers are reliable or will work correctly.
I have not bought or used a cable from that seller although I suspect he is probably just a middle man seller and is buying the cable from a US seller for profit! I have been told by another member that the cable he received from that seller does not look anything like the provided images which is suspicious.

I dont like to name and shame but that same seller sells an ELM327 cable for $100 (OBD2 cable for V8 commodore engine diagnostics), all he has done is rip the front sticker off! it is a $9 cable off ebay!
If anyone wants to check if they got completely and utterly ripped off by him, the elm cable is this one: "HOLDEN LS1 V8 5.7 SCAN CABLE read pcm ecu".

Last edited: