Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Wagon for $1000 (bargain?)

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Fit motor yourself $1000 including gaskets to replace to freshen it up.

$500 on other repairs, Bushes etc.

$250 for a top notch detail.

$2750 = Total cost spent.

Sell for $6-8k

#Winning

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well I went and picked up the car today. I had to jump start it to drive it onto the trailer as its battery was flat, but I also wanted to hear what the engine sounded like too. And it turns out the engine is badly rattling its head off. The oil and coolant levels were ok when I checked them before starting it. The amount of smoke that came from the exhaust was bloody unreal. I thought the fire brigade would end up there.
So it definitely needs another engine, im gonna pull the heads, sump etc off, just for the hell of it, and have a look to see what damage has been done. Ive already got a low k's vs model ecotec sitting there, It runs as quiet as a clock this engine, its deadset one of the quietest ecotecs Ive ever heard, anyway, im pretty sure I can fit that engine if I change over the inlet manifold and exhaust manifolds from the old engine. Theres probably a few other small things that will need swapping that I havent noticed yet. Any tips would be appreciated if anyone here has done this before.
The car is not dark blue like I said either, its more of a very dark grey, or nearly a black colour even. I might have to check the paint code to find what colour it actually is.
The front door trim on the passengers side has a broken speaker cover (the mesh type stuff over the speaker). Can this be replaced seperate from the rest of the door trim, or does it come complete with the door trim? The plastic around the bottom of the passengers seat is also broken. Other than that , It just needs a bloody good cleanup inside and it should come up pretty tidy.
Outside, Its got a slightly dented front right guard, which looks like it would be the kind of shallow dent that will pop straight back out of im lucky. The paint has a few scratches which I should be able to polish out. So much for the 5 new tyres it was supposed to have. The spare is probably the only new one, and I havent looked at it yet. But the other 4 are probably 2/3 worn. I will post up how I end up going with it anyway, and thanks guys for the replies and ideas etc. I appreciate it.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I would check with ur rego office, to see if they will let u transplant the VS heart into the VY. I know they are the same (aside from erg, etc) but the engine stamp may give an earlier date.

Check first before doing the work then having being turned down.

Nice pickup thou, some ppl are in the right place at the right time.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
VS motor into VY is a no no because of emissions. VY has the egr setup.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The EGR is only situated in/on the inlet and exhaust manifolds, both of these can be swapped over to/from any model ecotec as far as I can work out so far.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The EGR is only situated in/on the inlet and exhaust manifolds, both of these can be swapped over to/from any model ecotec as far as I can work out so far.

If that's the only emissions item changed then yeah. Inlet can be swapped easy enough.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,Im going to make some calls tomorrow and find out for sure if thats all that need to be done. I will post up what I find out about it. Thanks guys.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
what adr numbers does each model have on the compliance plate? If both sets of numbers match (the plate with a heap of numbers separated by a comma and some have letters at the end) you're home free, if most numbers match and some are higher on the vy look them up and see what they mean, this will give you a better idea of whether it can be done... (the drones answering a phone call may not give you accurate info, i've had this from vicroads before.......)

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah Ive also Ive been doing a bit of searching on here for the last couple of hours, and the general consensus seems to be that its only the exhaust and inlet manifolds that will need swapping over so the engine has EGR. I hope they are right.