Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Wagon for $1000 (bargain?)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Going by research it should be a simple case of different intake manifold has the pcv location has changed and obviously the egr. Also looks like the VS motor has 2 water temp senders where as VT onward has 1.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just had a look in a VS workshop manual at where the temp sensors are both located on the VS engine, and the two sensors are located in the inlet manifold, near the top radiator hose outlet pipe, which is part of the manifold, so this shouldnt be a problem once the inlet manifold has been swapped over. Thanks.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yea u should be right once u've swapped the erg, but u know how picky vicroads can be with engine numbers and receipts.
I know ur in NSW, i just don't know what they are called.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The NSW mob are called RTA- Roads And Traffic Authority, they dont do a very good job, the state of NSW roads are just a joke, most country roads im sure still follow the original horse and cart path that someone made 200 years ago, instead of being made wide and straight like they should be these days. Its bloody ridiculous considering the amount of money they get from traffic infringements,petrol taxes and rego etc etc ..
Anyway, enough of that, I just got off the phone from their technical department, and as long as I fit the manifolds with the EGR to the older ecotec engine, then it is not a problem, and will be ok for rego here in NSW. So Im right to go ahead with the swapover, which is excellent news. Im not really 100% happy doing this though, was really keeping this spare engine for my VS, because as I said in another post, its low k's, and is one of the quietest ecotecs Ive ever heard. I might have to have a hunt around in the next few days whilst I remove the old engine, and see if I can find another cheap ecotec thats in ok condition. This is where living up in the country becomes a pain in the ass. These only a few wreckers you can go to, The local wreckers here wanted $150 for a VS ECU and memcal, but they would only offer you $100 or so for an unregistered but ok running VS. I find its cheaper to buy whole cars. Im lucky though, Ive got somewhere I can store them until their parts are needed..

Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Why not remove the original engine, pull it down and have a look at the condition.
Might be an option to recondition it yourself?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
For the price of a secondhand even mid km's round 200-600 it's too cheap to worry about stripping it. If u were keepin it, then yes pull it down and check it out. Hell, once u rip it out, u can always look at it after.

Great news about the manifold swap, it's good when u get someone with half a brain :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Heres a pic of it. Now that its been washed I can see that its more of a black colour, and not the dark grey colour that I thought it was, as it was bloody filthy and handnt been washed in ages. I havent looked up the paint code yet, so I dont know what the colour is actually called, the paint code is 690F. Trim code 811. She certainly scrubbed up ok on the outside. Im going to spend tomorrow cleaning the interior, and I'll slowly start removing the engine after that. Ive gotta wait until next week until I get paid, so I can go and buy the inlet manifold gaskets and the other stuff that I will need for the swapover..

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
...absolute steal for 1k, looks pretty damn clean to me...no noticeable dents from the quick glance that I gave it.

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
I just had a friend of my missus ask me about putting a new engine in her VY wagon. I showed her some prices of fully reconditioned and second hand ecotecs that Id found online etc, and she ended up deciding just to sell the car instead. She rang the wreckers and asked them about it, they offered her $800 for it, so when she asked me about the wreckers and the $800 offer, I offered her $1000 for it instead, so she accepted that. Ive given her a deposit until payday until I can get the rest of the money together and go pick up the car. But I just wanted to find out what these cars are roughly worth, and is it a good buy for a grand, as Im just gonna buy a low k's engine, fit it myself and then resell it. The rest of the car is in pretty good condition, the car has done around 300,000 km, it has 5 new tyres and 4 months rego. The only thing I could see that was wrong with it, was a couple of the door trims have broken plastic over the spekers? or whatever,anyway, I noticed that these are broken and will need repalcing, maybe a wreckers? Also the car is a dark blue colour.

I think you're a rip-off mate.