Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec Timing Chain and Other Issues

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Commodore Acclaim VZ Alloytec LE0
So I've picked up a 2006 Holden Commodore Acclaim (Wagon) with the Alloytec LE0.
The car was purchased DOA, previous owner advised "timing chains snapped".
From what we've been told they went into a shop came out a few hours later and it wouldn't start.
They engine would turn over, making a rather nasty noise. (No idea how long they tried starting it for). Upon removing the front end it was clear that the crankshaft gear had been spinning inside the lower chain.
We have since replaced the crankshaft gear, chains, tensioners and associated guides etc put everything back together and all was well. It was running well for a week or so until it started having major idle issues, (Shaking itself to bits basically, stalling was another feature) yet at higher RPM's 1000+ it was fine.
After taking it to get the ECU read its showing P0011, P0016, P1011 and P1013 to which I was advised to re-time it.
My question being how can I avoid this happening again?
I notice the passenger side top chain had plenty of slack, is there a special method for installation of the chains?

Taking the front off tonight, will update with findings

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
I might not hugely familiar but my guesses could be an issue with the chain tensionors, I can't remember if they are hydraulic or not, there is a write up on here somewhere, use search, that helps with the alignment of everything. Also wonder about oil pump, and wether there has been damage to valves or pistons with chain issues. As these alloytec motors are so bad at sludging, you could have crap somewhere in the system blocking things, how was it when you pulled it all apart? And my last thought is an issue with the variable timing system, again, could be oil related, or a sensor maybe. Hope that helps maybe?

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
There was some sludge build up, but the engine has done 220 so we cleaned that up. I tried searching and did a lot of reading, but I didn't find anyone that had had to 'retime' as such after a new chain kit. Yeah they rely on oil pressure, and oil is getting to them. Oil pump was replaced also. I'll chuck up a video of what the left bank tensioner is doing compared to the right bank

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is a video turning it over with the sparks removed of course

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
This was the reading we got from the computer. I should also mention the engine did idle pretty smooth once it was hot. Mechanic was still sure it was timing issues however
IMG_2285.JPG

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Looking at that I would suspect the oil line is blocked, or the tensionor has crap in it or it has failed already, it could be a dud even. And the only way you could retime it is to remove chains and start from scratch lining all the dots etc up as you go ensuring you have tdc at the correct time.

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Have you got a work shop manual? I've got a Gregory's one that I could upload a few photos from if it would help? The only really helpful stuff it's got is how to find tdc and removal, inspection and refitting of timing chains if either of those will help

NZLiam

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tensioners have plenty of oil spilling out of them when turning it over, so should stiffen once oil pressure builds.
Don't have a workshop manual as such, I've been using a TechTalk article that Mace linked to. Heres the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8fvKs4-aOC3bVc3RDI4b296RzQ/view
Had actuators tested and they're OK.

moonriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE holden Commodore V6 3.5
reset the chain again,then turn the engine over ,make sure the chain tension is there at all time, you need two people to set the chain up. cannot do it by your self

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
that tensionor is no good ??