Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Inlet Camshaft phasers (LEO)

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
Cam.JPG

Gentlemen - above is a photo of the 2 inlet cam phasers. Notice that the sensor plate on the left (R) is rotated about 5 degrees further anti clockwise than that on the right . (L) . In addition, when I released the torque on the bolt holding the left unit on , the sensor plate sprang back about 15 degrees. Could anyone please advise as follows.
1. The back of the units is held is place by a bunch of 5 point torx type set screws. Is the unit easily serviceable if I remove these screws ?
2 How can I bench check that the units are working properly ?
3. Where can I get a new / recon unit If I have to?

I am convinced that at least one unit is not working , as I keep getting the P0016 code even with new timing chains .

Any advice would be gratefully received !

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
1. The back of the units is held is place by a bunch of 5 point torx type set screws. Is the unit easily serviceable if I remove these screws ?
No, you will never get the spring back on.
2 How can I bench check that the units are working properly ?
For the V8 that has an oil control valve as the cam’s centre bolt, you can buy an air valve that you can use air pressure to check movement and clean passages.
3. Where can I get a new / recon unit If I have to?
Holden spare parts, right?
Any advice would be gratefully received !
Just replace them both, ~$125 ea. I only have one and stuff it every time I fiddle with it. Have two in bits on my bench.
Bottom line is dangerous to take apart and difficult to reassemble. Cleaning probably help on a V6 I’d try bathing in solvent.
Possibly spring is sprung too. So easier to replace.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
No, you will never get the spring back on.

For the V8 that has an oil control valve as the cam’s centre bolt, you can buy an air valve that you can use air pressure to check movement and clean passages.

Holden spare parts, right?

Just replace them both, ~$125 ea. I only have one and stuff it every time I fiddle with it. Have two in bits on my bench.
Bottom line is dangerous to take apart and difficult to reassemble. Cleaning probably help on a V6 I’d try bathing in solvent.
Possibly spring is sprung too. So easier to replace.

Thanks for the advice - these are units for a V6 alloytech - just been quoted $290 each (not available) or a kit of 4 - (2 actuated for the inlet and 2 plain sprockets for the Exhaust) for $655 - so you can understand my reluctance to buy new from Holdem (to ransom).

Subi68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Hi desperate to find out how to reset position of of sensor plates ?? Long story short I have embarked on fitting a Ve engine into a vz crewman I think if I put the vz plates onto the Ve engine all will be fine ?? Thanks

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
Does anybody have an answer for this by now?? Did the chains on my sons yeeeears ago now but code kept coming back and prefer the right bank code for advanced than the passenger side for retarded, thinking the chains would stretch/ settle the code out...It hasn't.