Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Rough Idle - fixed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
When you say never had a problem with it before just exactly what do you mean and under what conditions?

My understanding is that there is a definite rev limiter when in neutral or park. I can floor the accelerator in mine and it jumps to 4000 quick smart and no further. In gear it is all normal as would be expected.

That would explain it then. It just seemed weird cause I've never had that in any of my other cars.

Anyway, picked up a set of coils from Mace for $170, and BOSCH Platinum Fussion plugs for $50/set. Put them in and the car is running so smooth. And picks up so much better. Had cracked plugs on cyl 3, 4 and 5.

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
Sorry but alil lost,

Hello,
I'm wondering would anyone know any good mechanics around brisbane area,that know Alloytec engines,
I've just got a 05 v6 vz commadore, 212kls but clean for its age,
I noticed it lacked power compared to the older vy when I got it,
So i changed oil,filter,fuel filter,spark plugs,air filter,ultratune tested coils an said everything seems fine,
But yet the engine still shakes a bit,ildes at about 600rpm but the car it self shakes a small bit,
Shakes more waiting at the lights,
Plus it seems very slow compared to the older vy, the vz is very laggy,foot pedal not very responsive,
Wonder is there any fix to that,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Don't know of an alloytec specific one, but there's a pretty good mechanic in woollengabba. Its an ultra tune. Used to take our Tiida there when we lived in Brisbane, and they never steered us wrong. You'd have to look up the address though, as they've moved quite a bit. If you're willing to make the drive (highly unlikely due to your situation), theres an awesome mechanic down here on the goldy that knows commodores.
Another option, bit pricey, but will do the trick is to take it to Holden to diagnose, and get the work done else where. Dealers know their cars, and know the common problems in regards to age, models, engines etc, but no nothing about mechanics, so they'll charge you through the roof.

Last edited:

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
Don't know of an alloytec specific one, but there's a pretty good mechanic in woollengabba. Its an ultra tune. Used to take our Tiida there when we lived in Brisbane, and they never steered us wrong. You'd have to look up the address though, as they've moved quite a bit. If you're willing to make the drive (highly unlikely due to your situation), theres an awesome mechanic down here on the goldy that knows commodores.
Another option, bit pricey, but will do the trick is to take it to Holden to diagnose, and get the work done else where. Dealers know their cars, and know the common problems in regards to age, models, engines etc, but no nothing about mechanics, so they'll charge you through the roof.

Yeah I get u man,il see if I can book it into holden an get it all tested,
I try an stay away from them as mush as possible lol,
Ultratune done some tests on it an can't find anything wrong,,
Il see if holden have different scan tools,
Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Probably needs a good proper service with a bit of OCD TLC. Clean the throttle body out, clean the MAF sensor, upper intake cleaner, check ALL the wiring plugs andfor rust and dirt, probably set give ait of coils some time soon too. If you go over that thing until it's spotless you will no doubt work it out.

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
Maybe engine mounts?

Yeah I was thinking maybe the mounts,kinda just looking for a good mechanic that knows the Alloytec, the blokes at ultratune didn't know much about them,they would make out they do but they don't

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
Probably needs a good proper service with a bit of OCD TLC. Clean the throttle body out, clean the MAF sensor, upper intake cleaner, check ALL the wiring plugs andfor rust and dirt, probably set give ait of coils some time soon too. If you go over that thing until it's spotless you will no doubt work it out.

Hey man,
Ultratune did all that,
They changed sparks,tested coils and said they were fine,they said they cleaned the throttle body also,an done the normal scans,they couldn't find anything wrong with it,
Do you think that something might not come up on the scans,but that it might need to be replaced anyways??
What I've done myself is changed the oil,oil filter,fuel filter,air filter,cleaned the maf,
Ultratune has changed the sparks,cleaned the throttle body, tested the coils an car,
The car,body an engine look pretty clean,no leaks,
But to me it has still a rough idle,even though the revs are what they should be,
Car seems gutless compared to the older vy,it's also not as responsive,sometime struggle to get up a hill,

I've also heard about the pvc valve issues,
I was getting some oil in the air take, altratune Saud they took the valve out and cleaned it,an also cleaned the pcv hoses, that was 2 days ago,
I asked them to drill the holes bigger on the valve but they said they couldn't,
Maybe I should buy a bigger valve for it? Can I even buy a Pcv valve that works better,apparently the valve that's on it now will keep blocking up over time