Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ slight leak in radiator

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yeah but you have posted asking the question, yet don’t seem to be interested in the answers provided.

You go ahead and put food in your cooling system.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Yeah but you have posted asking the question, yet don’t seem to be interested in the answers provided.

You go ahead and put food in your cooling system.
I am interested, I am just stating what I've researched up on it and what I've seen in YouTube videos, and only wanted to see if anyone has done it and whether it's effective or not.
I've seen a lot of people are completely against it, other people swear by it and would rather that than the radiator stop leaks you can buy, a mate of mine says he's done it for 30 odd years just as a temporary measure and never had an issue with it, and only uses it until he can get a new radiator and then completely flushes his cooling system 5 or 6 times before putting new radiator in and not an issue.
So I guess it just depends on the person, I more wanted person experiences posted, however I do value everyones opinions, I'm just stumped on what to do, cause driving the car with a small leak like that for a few weeks could end up a major problem

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I can't imagine a little cracked pepper doing much harm really. How much does it suggest you add? I wouldn't go adding a tablespoon of it in one go lol.
Maybe half a teaspoon ;)

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I can't imagine a little cracked pepper doing much harm really. How much does it suggest you add? I wouldn't go adding a tablespoon of it in one go lol.
Maybe half a teaspoon ;)
Most people suggest 2 or 3 table spoons worth, some people just chuck in around 25 grams of the saxa ground black pepper and works a treat supposedly

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I can make a make shift brake fluid from washing powder and water but you don’t do it in a modern car with high tech braking systems.

Putting pepper in your radiator was fine in the olden days but don’t do it with modern cooling systems. Even air in the cooling system causes problems.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I don't see very much difference between a modern cooling system and one on a 30 year old car. Either way, the cooling system is designed for liquid not solids. Obviously cracked pepper is a very fine solid so hopefully it gets pumped around without blocking anything else except the leaking core, but it seems the more pepper you put in, the higher the chances of blocking the heater or thermostat or whatever and replacing them costs a lot more than your radiator.