Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS ute is slower then sedan?

slyr23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
I have an 05 SS ute 6 speed manual. It's a great car but ive read that they are massively slower then the sedans. Is it true that they put out less KW then the sedans?
I understand the diff ratio is different but surely they put out the same 250kw?

I never thought of it until my old man said it felt gutless.
Any one with more experience with both sedan and ute have any input?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Do you have massive wheels on it?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Is the Sedan modified in any way to make it feel faster?
It also comes down to what you mean by fast. If they are geared different then the shorter geared ones will accel faster, but then you also need to take into consideration traction and everything in between.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
The VZ SS ute had a higher diff ratio 3.46 than the sedan's 3.73 ratio and that will make the difference.
A mate bought a VZ SS ute new expecting the sedan diff ratio and had a fit when he found out that the ute came with higher gearing, they must of had many of the higher ratio laying about and just used them in the utes, because why the hell would you want higher ratio in a bloody ute for.
That mate had a VY SS ute and had to drop the ratio down to a 3.9 because he towed big a trailer with it and he thought he could get away with 3.73 in the new VZ but that's why he had the spack attack when he got the VZ.

There is no difference in the VZ 5.7L 250KW engines at all.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
As said above....
The ute and sedan diff ratios are different.
If it really is that gutless compared to the sedan it may just need a good service too......
Fuel & air filters are cheap and a good place to start and also give the MAF (Air flow meter) and Throttle body a good clean too.

slyr23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
I don't have massive wheels on it, I have 17's all round.
It feels my Ute has decient acceleration, it's well looked after with a SS induction growler and 2.5" xforce exhaust and I'm just waiting to get back from holidays for the tune. I guess I'll see if he still thinks it's gutless then.
Thing is on various places including Wikipedia (I know not a super reliable source) say the commercial range including the utility SS and the crewman have 235kw not the 250 of the sedan.

He actualy has an Falcon ute and while it hauls like a train it's stock. He was comparing mine to a mates one from his work. Stock as a rock as far as I was aware.
Here are some pics of my VZ in case you were interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited: