Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz thunder issue, Please Help

KORZMASTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute
So I have a v6 auto thunder ute and about 4 weeks a go I clicked it in to drive and when I went to take off there was a bang as like I hit something but there was nothing around me and nothing on the road.
This happen twice in 2 weeks. Than last week I was turning a corner and heard/kind felt the same bang.
Than 2 days ago I was reversing out of a parking spot I went to click it into drive and there was no power to the wheels it felt like the right rear wanted to move but the left rear felt like it wasn't even there, I went into N and back into D and tried again, only to get the same result. Got out of the car had a quick look under neither couldn't see anything (mind you I'm not very mechanically sound). Hop back in the car and it was driving fine again, drive it home haven't touched it since.

Was hoping anyone might be able to help me out with what they think the issue might be. Any help/advice would be much appreciated
Thank you

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Wonder if it's your diff??

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
is the tranny fluid level o.k. ?

KORZMASTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute
Sliverbird: that what I was thinking and than a mate said it might be the torque converter.
XUV: trans fluid is full and fine

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Could be the torque convertor, I didn't think of that. Still, no harm to check the fluid level on your diff. I don't know a lot about diagnosing the drive line.

VR-VS 4HDD-6HDD transmissions used to pick up and spin the torque convertor bush until GM fixed the problem. This was well and truly sorted by 1998.
When the TQ picked up and spun the bush out, fluid was rapidly lost (remaining fluid turned black from overheating) and the transmission clutches were destroyed. I doubt this will have happened to yours. It used to be possible to recondition torque convertors, not sure if that is still the case. A company called ASNU used to do it for us in the 1990's when I worked for Bill Harrison. Hope you can sort it soon.

KORZMASTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute
Cheers Silverbird, final got it to a mechanic, plug the computer in ran a few test, it looks to be the ABS module which was playing up with the brakes and other modules, thank you for your help, it was much appreciated

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
That really is good news. Enjoy your car - well done.