Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz Ute Issues

xXDazXx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Now ive searched through heaps of threads about ECU issues etc but cant seem to find quite what im experiencing..
Hard Start, Powertrain Error, Random Missing .. mostly under load, Jerky/Slow acceleration randomly.
Had it Scanned again Yesterday because i thought ecu was failing and these guys could apparently defs tell me if it was\what is wrong with it.
Turns out they didnt find anything wrong with it but did say it has the wrong ecu in it? one from sedan and keeps throwing abs errors..
They think its either a coil or plug issue now.
Has had plugs, fuel pump and filter done 10000ks ago.
Theres coil,plug & Gasket kits on ebay cheap should i just replace them all then work from there?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Have you tried isolating each ignition coil in turn to see what happens to idle quality?
I think you can swap around 3 ignition coils to see if the problem shifts about.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
how do they know its the wrong ecu, depending on model, some had low, mid or high ecu's, son's S model has a mid ecu and we have used the boot opening outputs to remote open his hardlid with a 3 button fob, it had to be enabled in the ecu by holdens, so in saying some models will have a higher/lower ecu but features wont/will be enabled, his matched a sedan S model,
did you replace the gaskets when doing the plugs previously as it has been known that if these leak (alloytec engine) it can show similar symptom's to what you are saying
also have you cleaned the air intake ducting as oil has a habit of accumulating in there and being sucked into the engine from there and coating the maf
some utes had abs-sensor maybe, but also have your battery checked as poor voltage can cause this also, check your auto trans level (if it is) low fluid also a cause of jerkiness etc

Last edited:

xXDazXx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
The plugs were done just before i bought the car .. apparently.. so not sure if gaskets were done aswell or if they were even done or the plugs. haven't pulled out and checked to see what there like. hard to find mis with coils because it doesn't do it when idling only when driven. guys at shop just said its visually wrong ecu and its throwing errors for what the car doesnt have? Said looks like it has definitely been replaced but they have put a different type in there. volts are always good and manual gearbox is fine. cleaned the maf, intake piping gets a fair bit of oil in it which i was a bit worried with is it normal?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
normal for oil in there as its part of the pcv system etc (some guys have fitted catch cans) if the codes are not bringing up lights on dash then not sure what they are trying to say, because it has to be programmed to suit car using details from old ecu, vin number etc and features, if it is a very small airleak it would show maybe more underload than at idle,

xXDazXx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
yeah its weird. Will just do the plugs, coils and gaskets. fresh ones all round. Might just be a small leak if they didnt change gaskets last time then or a coil/plug starting to fail..

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
.... cleaned the maf, intake piping gets a fair bit of oil in it which i was a bit worried with is it normal?

If an alloytec:
Have you checked to see if the PCV is working properly?

If not, have you checked the metering hole in the PCV in the odd bank engine cover. There is no spring loaded check valve in the tappet cover, just a metering hole which could be gunked up. The metering hole is about 2mm from memory. I found a flexible pipe cleaner was ideal to carefully push through the upper and lower holes. If it comes out gunked, then check the oil filter housing etc for the start of any engine gunking.

I've done low KM, 102,000, and the throttle butterfly has very little oil and any dark deposits around the butterfly when I clean it every 12 months or so. I do get a light oil mist in the intake duct where the duct does the 90 degree turn to enter the TB assembly.

If it is the SV6, then oil could be collecting in the ram tuning port which is located under the air intake duct. This would need to be emptied and degreased. Must admit if my motor became an oiler, I was thinking of drilling a drain hole at the lowest point of the intake duct or the ram port. Use a button head self tapper with silicon blue to seal it off.