Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V8 Safety Mode Issues

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
is this an LS1 or L76

VZ5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV Manual Sedan
Thanks Paradox, sadly yesterday a couple of weeks on the problem re-occurred exactly the same as before... I turned back for home and it happened a second time before we got back. Considering the car has a brand new throttle body and therefore TPS, what else could be triggering this safety mode??? I am so over this car I am ready to burn it or trade it like the last owner clearly did to offload his problems. I love the VZ hut won't buy another one for fear of having these problems again, the VY had a cable throttle and the VE 6L has a different throttle body. I am happy to put some money in to fix this car if the problem can be identified, but don't have the funds to just buy parts on the off-chance they are the culprit with no fault codes to diagnose it. Considering the fault was happening daily before I fitted the new throttle body, and after fitting it ran faultlessly for a month can anyone suggest how the new part could cure the issue for that period but then have it return. Clearly a new throttle body / tps hasn't fixed it but somehow delayed it for a while?????

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Sorry to hear of the problems you have mate. I would check the wiring harness for corrosion -

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Maybe try testing the accelerator position sensors to make sure the throttle body is getting the correct info.

imagejpg1_zps1fe2d373.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3322c22d.jpg

VZ5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV Manual Sedan
Thanks dgp,
the pedal sensor was one of my "possibles" before I bought the new throttle body, I ended up going with the TB because of all the documented failings of the TPSs, and it being exposed to the heat and elements in the engine bay. It seemed like the most likely part to be at fault, but sadly not for me...
Thanks for the test specs I'll check it out and let you know what I find. If it's not this then I can't justify replacing the computer or wiring harness without some concrete evidence that they are at fault, so one more thing to try.
Can I ask did you find these pages on the internet somewhere or have access to a GM manual, as both my Gregories and Ellery manuals don't have this in them?

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
you didn't get a brass bladed, 09+ throttle body by any chance? Had a lot of issues getting one to work on my VZ L76. Seriously not worth the bother if that's the case.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
About the tech manuals I have had a look around for you but VZ pacific ones have not been ripped and uploaded, the VT VX one is still available on the most popular torrent site.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Thanks dgp,
Can I ask did you find these pages on the internet somewhere or have access to a GM manual, as both my Gregories and Ellery manuals don't have this in them?

No, I purchased the workshop manual from Holden when they were still available. $500 at the time.