Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw & Di Filippo

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
This is great news! Has anyone fitted a Manta or DP catback to thier VF2 SS? Keen to know how they sound. Not willing at this stage to retune, void warranty etc etc so catback is appealing.

I have DPE on my clubsport-LS3. Originally 317 similar to your VF2.
Did have a tune as well.
Very happy with the note. No drone a good when cruising but also great sound when you step on it.

NigelD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series II 2017
The $64 000 question - does the ECM remap / tune void your warranty?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

You cant "void" the warranty what will happen is if your engine shits its self they will claim that the remap was the cause and they wont need to cover it under the warranty but you will still have a warranty for everything they cant claim the remap caused.

NigelD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series II 2017
Yes I sort of knew that but the only things really worth warranting are the drive train components.
So engine, gear box, drive shaft and diff are all out.
Really keen to get the DFP headers and manta exhaust but the warranty issue bothers me.

Last edited:

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had the 375 kit fitted by Walkinshaw and they covered warranty. It was 2013 so out now. Got to say they were very good. The tail light went and the warranty had finished but they replaced both tail lights under warranty.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
is a remap necessary when fitting a catback system only? I thought no, but happy to be educated.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Agree with P81
Plenty left in reserves on LS motors

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
Sorry up front about the massively long post, but it covers my experience and something similar to this would have been helpful for me about 12 months ago. Should stress, not trying to convince anyone of anything, but I wrestled with this same issue for months when deciding to go catback or engine-back. Mods obviously feel free to delete this post.

Firstly I bought my SS (June 2017 build) as a daily as I've already got another project car that I enjoy on weekends etc.

However, and this is obviously a personal thing, I quickly felt regularly disappointed that I wasn't getting the full bang-for-buck experience that I wanted from 6.2l V8 in terms of the exhaust note.

Was initially thinking catback to preserve warranty, but then read the difference headers and cats can make to the note - deeper being one of the big drivers for me. Listened to a few cars that had either option and it pretty much convinced me that if I'm going to do it I'll do it properly and get exactly what I want. So I was at the point of either doing it full-on, or not doing it at all. Also niggling at me was the fact I would have to wait for several years due to the warranty to get essentially what I wanted when I bought it in terms of exhaust note.

I then went to my local Holden dealer and was upfront with my dilemma, what I had planned and what it would mean in terms of warranty. They categorically said as soon as the tune's been touched pretty much anything warranty-wise in terms of engine/clutch/gearbox/diff will be an issue/void in terms of warranty.

Then went to my preferred tuner/workshop where I was going to get the work done and had a chat with them about the same dilemma. And yes, I know their aim is to sell their product/service, not turn people away with fears over warranty.

Interestingly, both said the same thing - if you've got more than about 20,000ks on the motor/driveline without issue or warning signs so far, and you don't abuse it mercilessly or drive it too hard too often (and have some mechanical sympathy), if something was going to break/fail, it would have happened by now. *obviously there's always the random fault/failure that can still happen with anything mechanical , so it's a risk.

So I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead with an engine back exhaust package, otr and tune.

Before I did it, I went back to my local dealer, told them I'd made my decision and as a result wanted a final service (earlier than scheduled service/checkover) before going ahead. Again, I know it's not in their best interests to find fault when its under warranty when they know the driveline warranty will essentially be void in a few weeks. But I felt better being upfront.

I've since had the work done and for me personally it was worth every cent, and the risk of no warranty.

I still chuckle to myself when I give it the beans in terms of how good it sounds and how much better it goes. In fact I leave for work early every day just so I can drive it that bit more - almost look forward to going to work.

For me personally, I have absolutely nil regrets.

NigelD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series II 2017
Stattos - thanks for that - great post. I have changed my mind 15 times so far. My VF2 SS has only 4k on the clock. I think I bought the last one in Perth about 4 months ago and have received exactly the same advice as you. I'm not normally somebody who can't make up their mind but the warranty issue is a big one. Having said that I bought my first V8 Commodore in 1978 - VB SL/E 4.2L. Immediately had a Holley 350 and Luminition fitted. Did 230 000 km breaking 2 water pumps and kick down solenoid. This my 5th V8 Commodore and when I think back not one of them ever gave me a problem. Think I'll book in.
Nigel

Last edited: