Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Want to Turbo my VL !

AnthonyL89

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL SL
Hey guys, I just bought an automatic 86 vl sl with the n/a rb30. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to this stuff, but I would like some tips on what parts I should buy for a cheap DIY way to turbo my n/a vl whilst still being somewhat stable? Or if I should give up and just replace the whole block to the low comp motor that comes factory turbo.

Cheers

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
/sigh, no offence, but there's heaps of information available by searching, BUT, in response, what series block do you have? Series 1 block, like mine, is one of those "don't bother" situations. Saying that, it is still possible, and has the same benefits as VL Turbos with the Series 2 motor, just that the series 1 motor doesn't have the necessary holes for the water/oil, unlike the series 2 engine which has the holes pre-drilled. To get around that, for the series 1 motor, you just need to add a T piece joining the oil/water lines, or something lol. I'm not 100% sure on the details.

Here's some info that might help (from when I was searching for turbo'ing info):

*HiComp = Turbo'ing the Series 1 RB30 as the compression is higher on the Series 1 / RB30 N/A*

Detox_Nath83 said:
It can cost upwards of $1000 depending on your application and what you want to achieve. The best thing on a highcomp setup would be to source a VLT factory setup and run 6 - 12 psi with a cooler and turbo INJ and ECU.
Mine cost approx. $1400 for the conversion and mate to tell you the truth, it goes hard.

Turbo [If its not internal gated you need an External Wastegate]
Oil/Water lines to suit
Turbo ECU
Turbo Injectors
Cooler and piping/Couplers
Turbo Exhaust Manifold
Boost Gauge

If you're upgrading your gearbox then source an MX7 conversion (Turbo Manual Gearbox).
N/A Auto is a hit or miss. You can run an aftermarket cooler on them to extend the life on them.
Mine is only using the factory cooler (built in to Radiator) and is ok so Far. It cops abuse, too.

Just do it smartly, no top of 2nd gear boosting burnouts cos' that's when **** happens.

AnthonyL89

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL SL
Sweet thanks for the info, yeh its a series 1 block lol but I might start lookin around for parts since it can be done. Theres heaps of those parts that listed second hand on gumtree goin cheap have you turbo'd yours? or plannin to?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Nah haven't done mine yet, just recently got the Fuel Pump and Radiator fixed lol so I'm down for cash atm, but I might start looking for parts when I save a bit of cash. Best thing to do is buy the parts slowly, not rush in a grab them all at the same time at spastic prices. But yeah hopefully somewhere down the line I get mine turbo'd, unless I find a cheap donor I can scab.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
You will have to tap your block to fit an oil drain fitting. Or you can modify the sump

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
thats if he has a "Series 1" though.. hopfully not.. then ur in luck... source a standard setup
do a search man, learn as much as u can.. ask more questions.. but as stated there is so much info about the conversion and so forth...

do it right the first time, be smart about it, dont skimp on some parts, study, look at other people threads on conversions..take your time..

to follow up on above t piece of the oil pressure provision on the cold side of the block(under intake near oil filter
.. determine what block u have by looking under your exhaust manifold and see if u have some other tapped holes that have been bunged
gallery_5_134_213296.jpg

goodluck man.

Last edited:

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Just a quick one, do you have to remove the manifold to check for those plugs/that area, or can you see by sticking your head under the car?

Just throw in an RB26DETT :p

1000460bi4.jpg

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Is that a calais badge on the firewall....