Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WARNING LS3 Recall about to happen

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Where would you stand with ACL, if the Holden dealer you bought your car from has closed down? Hypothetical question from me, but there may be some in this situation.

You go to the manufacturer.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Where would you stand with ACL, if the Holden dealer you bought your car from has closed down? Hypothetical question from me, but there may be some in this situation.

Another Holden dealership

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In a simple sence, @VS 5.0 and @vc commodore are correct.

According to ACCC, the manufacturer still has liability related to the goods being of acceptable quality (and provision of spare parts). As such they still must fix any 'quality' related issues you have. Since no spanner twirling would be done at HHQ in port melbourne, i'd say their dealer network would be involved in any fix. So you'd be covered by ACL if a dealer went belly up.

What stays with the seller is your rights to choose the remedy (such as a full refund) when the product has a major failure under AC. It seems a manufacture isn't explicitly defined as having to provide a remdey of the owners choosing (like a full refund) under ACL. So if a dealer went belly up you may loose some leverage that the ACL provides. However, a purchaser can still recover "damages" from the manufacturer so it may in principle be similar a outcome.

At the end of the day no manufacturer would like to see bad press associated with the quality of their product so they would likely play ball and try to avoid public legal stouches so you may still get the remedy you want. But, in days gone by, the dealers and/or manufacturers would sometimes have owner sign a Non Disclosure Agreement when big problems occured as a condition to remedy the issue but now ACCC's view is that they can't condition a remedy on the owner signing a NDA - so no needs to sign such NDA's any more :p

tommy redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
my16 redline
Sorry for the ignorance but are there any obvious signs the rocker is about to go? My redline makes a tapping noise closer to the driver side. Holden told me this is nornal engine noise because the enhancer sends engine sound into the cabin. However the tapping was not there before my last service. They said they use dexus oil. Anyone else experiencing this sound? Id say tapping but almost a flapping sound when the car is in motion. Nothing loose that i can see.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Sorry for the ignorance but are there any obvious signs the rocker is about to go? My redline makes a tapping noise closer to the driver side. Holden told me this is nornal engine noise because the enhancer sends engine sound into the cabin. However the tapping was not there before my last service. They said they use dexus oil. Anyone else experiencing this sound? Id say tapping but almost a flapping sound when the car is in motion. Nothing loose that i can see.
Definitely nothing like that out of my March, 17 build Redline, maybe try checking with another dealer? Is your Redline qualify as one that might have the rocker issue?

tommy redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
my16 redline
Definitely nothing like that out of my March, 17 build Redline, maybe try checking with another dealer? Is your Redline qualify as one that might have the rocker issue?
dealer thinks my car was not affected by this recall but the noise is so annoying. does not sound natural.

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
dealer thinks my car was not affected by this recall but the noise is so annoying. does not sound natural.

From reading these forums its common for some LS engines to sound like sewing machines/flapping noise especially if you are driving near objects where the sound can rebound back into your cabin with windows down i.e metal guard rails, brick work under bridges.

Do you have a sound bite?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
When does the noise happen ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Gotta love (not) the uncertainty in this dealers view. I’d have thought the Holden system would categorically define if a vehicle is impacted by a rocker recall or not, so I’d expect a firm statement from a dealer, not a washy statement like “we think it not affected”.

As to whether your V8 sounds natural, go for a drive and warm up your redline to operating temps and then go to a safe road where you can do a 0-100 run at max revs. If it doesn’t go bang, it’s likely ok. If it goes bang and bits come flying out of the engine, well you had a problem and Holden will fix it for you under warranty :rolleyes: (I’m not serious about you doing this ;))