Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WARNING LS3 Recall about to happen

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Over 60 i’m glad it got sorted but it shouldn’t have taken such an effort on your part. The Holden trained service department should have handled this professionally and without error or drama.

In my book, if a service department can’t handle a simple service bulletin to change a seal, training or competency is a real issue and needs to be addressed. Likely the organisation needs a new service manager to lift the standard to where they should be.

As for HCC, it’s an organisation with poor processes that relies on the customer ringing about some issue (and likely angry about it when ringing) before they address the concern. There seems to be no desire to improve the processes to avoid the issues that result in a customer ringing up in the first instance. It’s a typical call center mentality but without an ability to have things escalated to a manager or senior exec for the more serious matters.

It’s all a sad indictment that will likely lead Holden into oblivion.

Last edited:

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
For those interested...Holden honoured the free service that was promised after the rocker arm issue. Had the 9 month service (cars done 3500km) on the weekend. $0
Had the letter with me ready to slap it on the counter if I was invoiced!...it was not needed.

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS-V Redline Sedan LMF
For those interested...Holden honoured the free service that was promised after the rocker arm issue. Had the 9 month service (cars done 3500km) on the weekend. $0
Had the letter with me ready to slap it on the counter if I was invoiced!...it was not needed.

I had to pay for my first service.. but I had no recall either..

We are performing the rocker arm recall as we sell cars. Our last Motorsport just got delivered last week (sold by me) and we have a few Redline wagons left, as well as one manual Redline sedan and a couple of Calais-V wagons still remain for sale - 7 year warranty still applies, if anyone is interested.

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
I had the HVAC seal done on mine today.

HighViz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SS Redline
Damn i love it how Holden do a recall on a part that isn't a safety concern, yet they don't feel concerned enough to do a recall on the faulty power steering racks in the all years and models of the australian vf range.....but they do to the USA delivered range! Which is so dangerous it's not funny!

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Damn i love it how Holden do a recall on a part that isn't a safety concern, yet they don't feel concerned enough to do a recall on the faulty power steering racks in the all years and models of the australian vf range.....but they do to the USA delivered range! Which is so dangerous it's not funny!

I think you'll find that both the HVAC seal and the rocker arm are *not* recalls - they're 'service update' items. The steering rack issue does not impact "all years and modes" of the Australian VF range, note the end date of the range of the US recall in https://gm.oemdtc.com/7443/17167-01...-chevrolet-caprice-police-pursuit-vehicle-ppv

There's some background as to why the US police recall happened in http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...f-holden-caprice-power-steering-fault/7348812 - police cars sit idling a LOT

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ doesn't change the fact that steering failure is a major safety issue and if there is a known issue that causes the system to fail than it should be a recall. There are enough examples of steering failures on this forum alone to warrant further investigation.

GM/Holden know that should a police vehicles steering fail during a high speed persuit as is common in the US that the liability from injury/death and damage would be substantial. Basically put, the average joe liability is a lot less than public service (aka the police) liability.

Not that a wish for someone to get killed but should it ever happen, I hope GM/Holden get taken to the cleaners.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
^^^ doesn't change the fact that steering failure is a major safety issue and if there is a known issue that causes the system to fail than it should be a recall. There are enough examples of steering failures on this forum alone to warrant further investigation.

GM/Holden know that should a police vehicles steering fail during a high speed persuit as is common in the US that the liability from injury/death and damage would be substantial. Basically put, the average joe liability is a lot less than public service (aka the police) liability.

Not that a wish for someone to get killed but should it ever happen, I hope GM/Holden get taken to the cleaners.

Is it an actual 'steering failure', or 'loss of power assistance'?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it an actual 'steering failure', or 'loss of power assistance'?

It is a 'loss of power assistance', not a 'steering failure'

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride

What makes you think there hasn't been an investigation?